Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The major mags like mustang monthly and mustangs and fords run articles every once in a while about "how to build a daily driver". In one of the more recent ones, they mentioned that the use of a rear sway bar was not a good idea because of noise and possibly another reason that I cant recall right now. Anyone have any experience with this on a older mustang or anything to add?

·
Registered
146 Posts
most mustang experts that I talk to say that a rear sway bar does not make a big improvement in handling. This is mostly due to the fact that mustangs are pretty light in the rear end. Most that I have talk to say that a good set of performance rear springs is all that is required(I run Maier racing's 160 race spring and have no complaints). Also rear sway bars get in the way of exhaust and other things back there. Hope this helps

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jimbo on 7/3/02 8:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
739 Posts
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear."

I had a Mustang, well, ahem a Mustang II (youch) on which I put Racer Walsh front springs, rear lowering blocks, a 1.25" front and a 5/8" rear sway bar. IMHO, the rear bar helped neutralize the car's handling characteristics.
The deal with the sway bars is that more bar (bigger)in the front INCREASES understeer and more bar in the back decreases understeer.
Understeer is generally favored by the people selling you things as it is less likely to kill you. Virtually every passenger car is designed with inherent understeer, a very forgiving, albeit time wasting, characteristic.
Oversteer, a notoriously dangerous problem in say, 911 Porsches, has led to many deaths, lawsuits and settlements. Not surprisingly, current Porsches have much more tame handling characteristics.
Then of course there is the whole issue of drop throttle oversteer, but that is for another thread...
Unless your springs are so stiff that the bars won't take effect, the rear bar is helpful in balancing the car's handling.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
My mustang will be getting a rear sway bar if the replacement leaves dont stiffin it up enough. My problem is I have throttle induced oversteer, and when it happens, it leans the car over so hard that when it grabs it launches ya the other way, really gotta be on your guard, especially in the rain. A much stiffer rear would tend to make the kick backs much tamer IMHO, only time will tell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts