Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright all, quick question. When I rotate my rear wheels, trying to adjust my rear drums, they stop and there's a hard clunk. Same spot every time. And I can't go past it unless I go the other way first than I can "go forward" but stops again in the same spot. Car is in neutral. Is this normal? TIA

·
Registered
307 Posts
Are you saying you can't turn the wheel with a moderate amount of force after it locks up? And when you turn it the other direction, you say you can go forward but it stops in the same spot. So in other words, no matter what you do, you can't rotate the wheels a full rotation in either direction? If the car is in neutral and both wheels are off the ground, this is not normal for either an open or posi/traction lok.

What is the background here? Was/is the car driveable? What was changed? Is this an open, limited slip, Detroit locker, spool, etc.? Is it possible something is loose inside one drum or the other and jamming? It might be worthwhile pulling one or both drums and seeing if you can rotate the hubs then.

Pat

·
Registered
110 Posts
My car was doing just that. I solved the issue when I removed the tires and pulled off the rear drums. The axle then turned fine. I had to just adjust the rear brakes as they were dragging slightly. Hope yours is as easy to fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey all sorry took so long but work and family you know. So this is where I got to, car jacked up both rear wheels off the ground with Jack stands under the axle. Car in neutral the driver's side while rotated in what would be forward stops at certain place every time. I can rotate it in what would be reverse until my heart is content without any stops. Other wheel is rotating opposite. Didn't bother checking what driver side would do in park but in park the passenger side rotates both ways without any stops. I think I found my original problem to why I'm messing with this. I have what feels like a shimy/like I have a bubble in my tire. Doing what 7 litre said I took my drums off and I think that's the problem found my secondary shoe not seated correctly and is actually dragging some. 64 fast back, car is drivable the day before all this crap I took the car out on a 80 mile cruise no issues. I drive the car pretty regularly just enjoying it but the day after that long drive it started doing that shimy and actually began shaking pretty violently at 30mph I thought it was a tie rod. I pulled over checked out what I could in a parking lot everything seemed fine so I limped it home. I rotated the tires because I thought well who knows how old the tires are. Doesn't do it for the first mile or so but I'm guessing drums/shoes warm up and the shaking starts. Nothing has been changed in the rear end has been changed I did the brakes about 1yr ago but only recently really started driving the car. No spool everything is stock. Still learning about this car and galaxies in general. I traded my 73 firebird formula for this cruiser. Thanks for all the help I've found in these forums!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts