Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 15" x 8" wheels with 5.5" backspacing and M&H Racemasters I used to run on my 93 Cobra with no clearance issues. When I mount them to my 91GT the tires rub on the inner fender and quad shock. What is the best way to make these fit short of a hammer. I have plenty of clearance at the outer fender. I've heard of spacers(washers) but what are they made of, how thick and are they even safe? Any suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
The reason they rub, is because the 93 Cobra has rear disc brakes and the axles are wider. So the GT wheel requires a little less backspacing.
Don't use washers!! You can get wheel spacers which are made of aluminum. You can get them to match you lug pattern. Their available in 1/8" all the way up to 1/2" thick spacing. Their available in Jegs catalog. I had to use a 3/16" set on the front of a 95Gt I had. I was using 5" wide Weld Draglites. They came with the wheels though. This was before they came out with the XP series designed for the 94up Mustangs. I never had any problems though. You probably wouldn't want to use more than a quarter of an inch spacer on the back though. Anymore, could put too much stress on the studs. You might be better off getting different wheels.

79 F150 4x4 (Soon To Be FE Powered)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RonMeyer on 1/25/02 4:27am ]</font>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts