Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell what kind of rearend my car has? Its completely factory 68 XL w/302 FMX combo right now. I was told to upgrade to a 9' rear-end but is it possible I already have one? I'm a rookie here so go easy on me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Being a full sized Ford it should have come from the factory with a 9 inch.You shouldn't have any rear end worries with a 302/FMX anyway.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
you have a photo of it?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If you can remove the lower bolts with a socket it's 8", if you need a wrench on the lower bolts it's 9"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm getting prepared for a 460/c6 combo swap and I'd like to have the 9" rearend in place before I purchase the new motor and trans. I'll climb underneath and give it a look as soon as the rain stops! Thanks for the help...maybe I'll snap off a photo and post it just for some verification.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for linking that article. I've had a 9 inch rear end the whole time and didn't even know it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just compared what the article said with what my rear end looks like:

Here's a 9' pic from that article with the "distinctive hump":

Here's a pic I just took of my rear-end - looks the same to me, could be wrong I guess:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow, looks like I aught to get some POR15 on the undercarriage soon! damn...i never notice that surface rust before!! Anyway, let me know if I'm wrong about the rearend. Thanks

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
About the article. I never seen a rear axle tag this easy to figure out.

..And here is a WAR case w/dran plug.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1bad6t on 10/30/06 12:14pm ]</font>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts