Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must drop the rear axle to do the restoration on the trunk metal and the leaf spring mounting rails.

Where is the best placement for jack stands to do this?. I thought about the rear leaf spring mount, but the complete spring needs to move up and down freely.... I will also probably need to force the spring down, by bruit force.

Can the jack stands be right behind the back spring mount?. Maybe with a board in between?. Or should they be some place else?.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Place the jack stands on the front spring mount torque boxes, (right near the front eye bolts for the springs) that way you can unbolt the rear shackles, remove the driveline, and roll the rear end right out the back of the car, or simply lower it for dong the work then raise it again when done.
Okay, so, just behind the front spring mount. Should I use a wood square?. or something like that, or right against the metal with the bare stand?.

Should I also use 6x6 square wood under the end cross crease (just behind the bumper, the bumper has been removed) to also support. I will be cutting out the lower 1/4s, and doglegs for replacements. I suppose support to "hold up" the trunk "end", so there is no weight bending, or any chance of metal tearing while the 1/4's are being replaced. or bending from "over hang weight".

Another words, I want to make sure that all metal I remove, the rear end area from the wheel wells on back to the tail lights won't move by the weight of the ass end sticking out without additional support... Know what I mean?.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts