Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 choices, partially rebuild the rear brakes with new drums, shoes, springs and more. Or buying a dish brake kit like this:

DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KIT FORD 9" NINE 9 INCH REAR END | eBay

Buying new parts for the drumbrakes will of course also cost, but will be a bit cheaper than the disc brakes

Someone have any experience in using a kit like this or similar?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I have tried a kit like this one and didn't like it. You have to use 15" wheels and larger and the 15s might have issues. The kit I tried also didn't have a good way to center the discs on the axle hub. I ended up using the Summit kit for less than $500 and it fit very nicely and would allow 14" wheels.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
IMO... :frown:

Being across the Big Pond and you guys having difficulty getting parts, I would leave it drum with an upgrade-

Muscle Car Brakes

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have 2 choices, partially rebuild the rear brakes with new drums, shoes, springs and more. Or buying a dish brake kit like this:

DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KIT FORD 9" NINE 9 INCH REAR END | eBay

Buying new parts for the drumbrakes will of course also cost, but will be a bit cheaper than the disc brakes
It depends on what you want to do with the car.

If it's a cruiser, it doesn't matter much.

If you do decide to go for discs, make sure to use something for which you can get parts - calipers, rotors, hardware, etc - and that you know what those parts are - the vendor doesn't hide things from you.

What size wheels are you using? Not many rear disc setups will fit under a 14in wheel if you intend to run them, most will fit under 15in, some of the higher-end kits that use 12in or larger rotors are going to require 16in or larger wheels.

Any change to the hardware requires consideration of what you've already got (current front brakes and relative front/rear piston sizes, axle flange size) and what else you'll have to change (master cylinder/booster, proportioning valve, plumbing, parking brake cables, etc.)

If you were in the US I'd suggest snagging the rear-disc parts off a late Crown Vic 8.8, in kit form there's the Explorer rear disc setup available as a Ford Motorsport kit.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being across the Big Pond doesnt mean that its impossible to get parts;)

Yes JEM, these cars are originally cruisers or "gliders", but I plan to get more power and fun with my Galaxie. Anyway, disc brakes are usually much easier to work with than ordinary drum brakes

My Galaxie has 15" wheels, its definetely important to check which wheels a kit allows

Arnoldtx, which summit kit did you use? I found this: Summit Racing SUM-BK1326-99904 - Summit Racing® Rear Drum-to-Disc Brake Conversion Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

When going to application, it tells that this kit is for axle housing flange type: Small Ford (3.375 in x 2-00 in)

Does a kit like this fit a standard rear axle on a 63 Galaxie?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Being across the Big Pond doesnt mean that its impossible to get parts ;)
It sounds as if a conversion kit was on your mind all the time.

When going to application, it tells that this kit is for axle housing flange type: Small Ford (3.375 in x 2-00 in)

Does a kit like this fit a standard rear axle on a 63 Galaxie?
Attached Below Is What They Are Asking For-

It makes me feel so warm and fuzzy to know that another GM conversion kit is going on a FORD... :bs::frown:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Importing parts from USA is common in Norway, so it doesnt mean that its on my mind all the time

The kit linked below allows both small and big flanges

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
They are Versailles and I do not have the dust shields, I will throw in a new set of ford axle bearing, the calipers and rotors are new

1 - 13 of 13 Posts