Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i'm restoring my 1969 mustang. It's my first american car I have.I've bought a second engine for my car. It's a 302cui engine from a 1968 fairlane
with heads from a 289cui. Does anyone knows the effect of this combination? I want to rebuild this engine good, buth not too expensive. Does someone have an idea for me what I should do with it? Thanks, greetings from Belgium. Kurt.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That's a very broad question =).

If you're asking if the 289 heads work well on a 302, the answer is yes, they're pretty much the same head. If you're asking about how to rebuild a 302...well, that gets into a LOT more detail, and is something you should probably find a book to read about, at the least. Once you have a good idea of the general issues, come back and we'll be more than happy to help you with your more specific questions! =D

Cris

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Gee,... cylinder heads. Now there must be an endless combination.

Most often the use of 289 heads on a 302 will boost the compression ratio maybe 1/2 point. The early 289 heads used a smaller valve than the 67s.

It may work, but there are also a significant number of variables. And, can't forget those California heads with the air ports.

Wm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello guys, thx for the answers. I have purchased an engine rebuilding book. It covers all the small block engines. When I'm done reading, I will begin to rebuild. Thx again for answering. See you later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts