Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guy thats got a dissasembled 429 with a master rebuild kit. It has pistons, rings, bearings, cam and lifters, gaskets. What I was curious about was with the block. Its used so wouldnt the cylenders need bored out? In which case, that would also require larger pistons right? I dont think the master rebuild kit has a crankshaft(I dont think), so if the crank needs turned, its going to need new bearings of a larger size. And cylender heads are a whole different rebuild altogether right? Just looking for some kinda info.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Some blocks will hone clean without boring. A few out there somewhere. Same with cranks, a little polishing. heads are a different rebuild, correct, but may only need small work. Everything depends on the condition of the motor, how it was treated, miles, maintenance etc.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I could be WRONG ,but maybe you can hone,hoane out the cylinders and it will be ok.. That's my 1cent worth..
Getting involved in something some one else has started has always been a exciting..Like the 460 I'm working on, but I'm gaining on it.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I have a guy thats got a dissasembled 429 with a master rebuild kit. It has pistons, rings, bearings, cam and lifters, gaskets. What I was curious about was with the block. Its used so wouldnt the cylenders need bored out? In which case, that would also require larger pistons right? I dont think the master rebuild kit has a crankshaft(I dont think), so if the crank needs turned, its going to need new bearings of a larger size. And cylender heads are a whole different rebuild altogether right? Just looking for some kinda info.
You got a guy and he has an engine . plus he got a kit .

whats his skill level rebuilding engines ?

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
Whoever ordered the kit probably already did the measuring already for you.
Look on the master kit pistons to see what the oversize is, then get the cylinders bored to match (about $125-150).

Otherwise, you could try two checks. Put a ring in the cylinder and square it with a piston. Check the rings for gap and for out-of-round near the top and near the bottom of the cylinder. If this in inconclusive (I never tried it myself so maybe someone here can advise) you can try a bore gauge. If there is nothing obviously wrong and the PO already bought the pistons it is probably ok and just might need a hone. This will save you the cost of a bore and new pistons and rings, though the savings might just be temporary.

Same thing with the crank. It might be fine, especially if your bearings are standard to match. Get a mic at Harbor Freight and measure to check. This is easier that cylinder checking. If they are not standard, consider that the PO may have done his own check and decided the crank needs work.

I've only rebuilt one engine, but did a good job.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
There are a few different master kits so you would have to find out what all it has and yes if you have a tired engine you are likely looking at boring the cylinders, grinding the crank, possibly re-sizing the rod big ends and honing the mains. It all depends how much run time was put on the block.

The cylinders have to be within a certain spec to clean up on a hone job or they will have to be bored next size up. Same goes for the crank and the crank is even tighter on clearances. If the engine was run for any length of time before it is always best to at least hone the cylinders and have a break in pattern put on them for the ring seal.

For any performance build I always buy file fit rings. They are over sized and allow you to set all the ring gaps precisely the same. This is even more important if you have had cylinders honed for a clean up at a certain over bore but not absolutely crucial. If you can do it though why not do it right.

I have only had 1 429 built and I really loved it. Power was amazing. It had factory cast iron headers. Only upgrades I did were a 750 Holley, RPM intake and Comp 9000 dizzy/coil/wires. It was a 70 Ranchero GT, toploader, factory Hurst, hidden headlights. 1 of 268 made with those options in 1970. Sold it for around 10 grand because the person I was married to at the time hated it and bugged me all the time about it. Should have dumped her and kept the Ranchero, LOL.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry to hear about the ranchero....amazing the crap we do for women! Let us know what you find out on the 429 as owning a 429 and building it for the drag strip is on my bucket list.....right under owning a 427!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts