Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old f250 is getting tired,I plan on rebuilding in in the spring 0.40 /new cast pistons/crane old school cam 524 lift/216dur @50,that is a problem I can,nt find any info on this cam tryed to ask crane online about it,they say there in no info on this cam,what i need to know is what valve springs should I use,the motor is a 400 the truck is only used for towing our mustang to and from the track/ truck/trailer/car/crew weight 15000 lb any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My old f250 is getting tired,I plan on rebuilding in in the spring 0.40 /new cast pistons/crane old school cam 524 lift/216dur @50,that is a problem I can,nt find any info on this cam tryed to ask crane online about it,they say there in no info on this cam,what i need to know is what valve springs should I use,the motor is a 400 the truck is only used for towing our mustang to and from the track/ truck/trailer/car/crew weight 15000 lb any help will be greatly appreciated.
The 400 is great! I just built one about 2 years ago for my ranchero. For the money, you cant beat the edelbrock heads, they raise the compression ratio with stock pistons a considerable abmount. Tim Meyer sells a stroker kit, but your gonna pay through the nose for it. He sell nice pistons too. Probe will cut the wrist pin holes for their cleveland pistons to fit a 400 rod. Really, to stock replacement Keithblack pistons are ok, i used them, but wish i had the info im giving you when i was doing my build....Better pistons, better potential. Do you have the cam already or something? If its been kicking around for years, i wouldnt use it. Its likey bent. If you just want a hydraulic flat tappet. Summit racing cams are good bang for the buck, and they offer one very similar to the specs you posted. Intake selection is the major short fall for the 400. For towing, the performer 400(which i have for sale ;) is decent. Price motor sports(PME) sells an intake manifold adapter kit which i just installed on my 400. It allows you to use any cleveland intake manifold. Because i have the edelbrock heads though, they fit their adapeters exactly to the edelbrock port height. If you want more info, i have a wealth of research and time invested into my 400, and lots of tips i wish i would have known at the time of my rebuild...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guy,s the Tim Meyers Piston are a bit pricey for my budget but I contacted SUMMIT RACING and the have a set of new old stock 71 400 pistons for a great price and I think I will go with one of there cams also thanks for helping me sort this thing out. wil keep you posted on the out come. THANKS AGIN!!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks Guy,s the Tim Meyers Piston are a bit pricey for my budget but I contacted SUMMIT RACING and the have a set of new old stock 71 400 pistons for a great price and I think I will go with one of there cams also thanks for helping me sort this thing out. wil keep you posted on the out come. THANKS AGIN!!!!
Do your self a favor, call summit back and add all the arp bolts you can buy for the bottom end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts