Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Some questions from a new beginner with engine building please.

Brought my short engine block to auto machine shop. Having it first MAGANFLUXED, DIP-CLEANED,BORED OUT 0.030THS. AND HONED. HAVING LOBE BEARINGS PUT IN BY 'EM ALSO.

Next I'm giving 'em the head to be done.

They'll Magaflux 'em and clean up the heads.

I enrolled into a college giving ' Engine Repair Course ' so I'll be doing the work under the supervision of a quailified instructor.

FINALLY THE QUESTIONS: What else should I have the auto machine shop do to the block before I take it to the classroom?
This auto machine shop has a great rep. around car clubs and does work for the college auto repair program also. So I don't feel like I'm be TAKIN'

Should I have 'em set the valves in?
In other words what should I have 'em do before I take the engine back with me?

I want to have just a little above average perfromance with me daily driver.
I will be putting in my car: Roller Cam, with Roller Lifters of course. New Cam Lobe not high performance. Standard Pistons ( Cast )

That's about it.
Again what should the auto machine shop that doing the Magaflux do while they have my block.
At the college I'll be setting in the pistons and setting in the roller cam and lifters.

Whatever ideas you guys have please don't be shy. Give a guy your expertees.

THANKS A LOT
GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Schooner

·
Registered
659 Posts
You did not mention new vavle springs and locks. Might have the shop install the springs keepers and locks for you.
Other than that the rest you should be able to handle in your class.
Keep every thing CLEAN

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Have the block decked, enough to make sure it's straight, and align honed. Have the heads milled just enough, .002-.006" to make sure they're straight. I'd have them hold off on installing the cam bearings until you get the block back. Then clean it everywhere. Oil galleys, threads, oil returns, water jackets, everything. You just might be surprised how dirty it is. Then take it back and have them install the cam bearings. After they do that, inspect their work to make sure the cam bearing's oil holes line up with the main's oil holes. Same with the head and clean the crank oil holes too. Remember they are in a bigger hurry then you and time is money. Unless they're building the engine and guanteeing it, I'd wouldn't trust their work to much. Not unless you personally know the shop and have had work done there before.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
If you are expecting to get a few RPM out of the engine, look into getting everything balanced. Doubtfull your college will ahve the required items for this phase. What is also annoying, is that presently the outfits which handle engine balancing around the greater Los Angeles area are quoting about six weeks for the work. May be different in your case. What you may find is that upon asking for an engine balance job, means you have to essentially be ready to reassemble the engine, clutch, and everything that connects onto teh crankshaft. Takes some thinking and prepartion to avoid extra trips.

I balance even stockers which are being used for everyday driving now. Odd, in that they seem to go an extra 20+ thousand miles now and idle so smoothly. Got nearly 200,000 out of a stock rebuilt 289 a few years ago before it began breathing oil.

Wm.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for you impute. I use all the info and keep you posted.

Take care
GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Schooner

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
You might want to buy the book "How to Blueprint Your Engine". Gives you much info for all parts to work on and what to look for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i just got out of college and the program up there for the auto tech said that they do their own heads like seating the valves and everything you need to be done at the machine shop. you might check and see what is possible throught the course and the you can learn on how to do the things to a motor that most guys just pass on to a machine shop.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2006-06-18 10:47, hvacrefrigoligist wrote:
i just got out of college and the program up there for the auto tech said that they do their own heads like seating the valves and everything you need to be done at the machine shop. you might check and see what is possible throught the course and the you can learn on how to do the things to a motor that most guys just pass on to a machine shop.
Did you mean that you went thru the course at: COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN NEVADA?

If so, did you get a degree in automotive? I'm just going for a cours in; ENGINE REPAIR.

Let me know.
Thanks for you impute guy

GOD BLESS
Schooner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts