Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to be a real stick shift drag racer like Dennis, I've finally gotten around to swapping in my G-Force faceplated gear set.

Here are some pictures of tearing down the T5z and some of the new gears and stuff next to the old. Hope to have it back together by the end of next week.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
You can hear I have to let completely off the throttle on the shift at the track. Will be nice to be able to stay in it all the way through a pass.
Your going to absolutely L-O-V-E the faceplated gearset once you get the nerve to keep the go pedal on the floor! Smooth and concise. Should be good for a couple of tenths according to my good friends at Gforce.

Not sure about running the straight cut gears on the street though, so running a loud exhaust might be mandatory for me. LOL

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nate,

What are your plans for the old gear set? Let me know if you want to get rid of them, If they would be ok for a daily driver

Jet
The gears are already spoken for and there is another person in line if that deal falls through. Sorry. :(

Thanks Dennis. I'm really excited about getting to the track and hammering it! I'm also slightly apprehensive about learning to drive with no syncronizers on the street. But, if others can learn to do it with little to no problems, you can bet I will too... or destroy it trying. LOL

I've read about people picking up a couple tenths with this type of switch. I would be very happy with a tenth. The mild port work being done to the heads and intake will throw my results off though. :(

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure about running the straight cut gears on the street though, so running a loud exhaust might be mandatory for me. LOL
What!?! I can't hear you! LOL Yeah, they'll have some gear noise. No big deal to me as the car isn't exactly quiet. They're supposed to be stronger so I went with them.

·
Registered
10,460 Posts
Re-learning to power-shift/flat-shift took a bit for me. Old habits and all that. I finally just drove the streets doing all my shifts holding whatever power I was using at the time in normal driving, and just stroked the clutch. It was surprisingly easy (and FUN!) to get comfortable with it, but the habit part took a while for me to consistently overcome at the strip. Combining the words "flat-shifting" and "road racing" makes me grin now... :D Hopefully it will be a no-brainer for you with street practice.

David

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don't mind me asking what did the part cost?
I foget the exact cost. I went with the gears, clutster support, rebuild kit, and uprgraded main shaft. I think it was under $2,500. A quick call to G-Force will get you an exact number.

David, sounds good. I'm sure my right foot will automatically want to lift on the shift. Hopefully it will be something I get over quickly.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures of the old T5z stuff that usually shows wear. You can see the 1-2 reverse slider has some rounding on the teeth. 3-4 synchronizer assembly shows some very minor wear with very little rounding.
The teeth on second gear that mate up with the 1-2 slider are rounded and have wear. The same teeth on third gear have less wear but are still rounded a bit.
Everything else looks great. Teeth on the gears show no funny wear marks and don't have any pitting. I feel the transmission held up very well to how I've used it. :burnout

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made a little progress today. Ran into some problems otherwise I think I'd have it finished. Need to have a spacer milled down and can't find one clip. Will have a spacer milled down and I'm sure I can find the clip at OSH. Here are some pictures.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's the spacer for the cluster gear. Smallest spacer leaves too much clearance (.003") and the next size up is too thick and binds up too much. They are stainless steel so you can't just knock it down to size with some sand paper. Will take a trip down to my machinist today. Places like Hanlon Motorsports sell them in custom sizes as well.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finished it up. Found a used spacer at a transmission shop that was exactly what I needed. The Bob Hanlon video makes this darn simple compared to what I expected.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Looks great! I'm anxious to see how well it shifts. I'm sure it will hold the power your putting to it. Is that the 500 or 600ft.lb kit you got?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks great! I'm anxious to see how well it shifts. I'm sure it will hold the power your putting to it. Is that the 500 or 600ft.lb kit you got?
Went with the upgraded main shaft, bearing support, and straight cut gears so it's stong as they make for a T5. Only thing I didn't do is get the stronger G-Force case.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well I guess we'll see if the case is strong enough! Great write up Nate. Thanks for the pics. I'm not too far away from doing the same upgrade to my WC T5

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Is this the gearset that does not require clutch pedal depression between shifts? They call it dog tooth or something like that or am I thinking of something else?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is this the gearset that does not require clutch pedal depression between shifts? They call it dog tooth or something like that or am I thinking of something else?
This is not a transmission where you only use the clutch on launch. I will still use the clutch on the shift. Dog ring and pro shifted does not mean clutchless. They don't make a gear set I know of for the T5 that will make it clutchless.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The transmission is in and I'm learning to drive it. Seems difficult at first but after some advice I'm getting the hang of it. I can see how it'll be no big deal after some seat time on the street. I'll try to get some in car video up one of these days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.