Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I Just recently rebuilt a 1969 302 Other Than It being Bored 0.30 and The Crank 0.10 I used a stock rebuild Kit. I did add a Aluminum Intake a 4 Barrel Holley, New Stock D8OE Heads and a HEI Distributor. I installed The Motor Yesterday Primed it and it Cranked right over had 60+ lbs of Oil Pressure But when I shut it off I could hear Oil Draining From The Top of the engine back down into The oil Pan for about for about 5 Seconds but it was loud like it was a lot of Oil. I have never heard That before on any Engine Rebuilt or with 100,000 Miles anyway after it ran for awhile and started smoothing out I shut it off and went Into The House To Cool Off and get a Drink went back out about a hour later to start it and Break The cam In It had cooled down but Kicked right over It ran for about a Minute and I heard That Evil Squeal From The Front of The Engine so I shut It Down Right Then. I Talked to a friend and he said it sounded like it pumped all The oil up to The top of the engine leaving The Mains In The Front of The Oil Pan Dry so The Front Main Bearing probably Got Hot Then when it cooled Down It Tightened up. I have personally never heard of This happening so Thought I would ask If maybe someone could elaborate on This Issue and If In Fact it did pump The oil to The Top why and how can I correct That From happening after I take The oil Pan off and check/replace The bearing. I appreciate any Help as I'm lost right now. Thanks In advance.........

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I'm not familiar with the internal oiling system of your small block engine but I am with mine, one generation earlier, the FE series. There are extensive write-ups of the FE, the factory changed the oiling circuits over the years, but for my '64 390 4V they are notorious for too much flow to the heads, hence low oil pressure to the crank (as low as 5psi at hot idle). They are also notorious for oil leaks from the valve covers right onto the exhaust manifolds, since that area just gets flooded with oil during operation before it can drain back down into the pan.

Fortunately for me the fix is well documented and simple, install an orifice in the main feed on each head:

I suggest that you do your research on your block and heads. There is probably a similar solution out there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts