Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I want to tell the story of how i found my " Barn Find " 63.5 R code in the U.S. and tell you of its, what i call amazing condition, But it's a long but Good story that i want to tell, but i'm not sure how much detail i should go into and how many words i should keep the story to,

If anyones interested in hearing the story, i would like to know your thoughts

Thanks, larry

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi everyone

I want to tell the story of how i found my " Barn Find " 63.5 R code in the U.S. and tell you of its, what i call amazing condition, But it's a long but Good story that i want to tell, but i'm not sure how much detail i should go into and how many words i should keep the story to,

If anyones interested in hearing the story, i would like to know your thoughts

Thanks, larry
Please do. We all love good stories!

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Come on Larry, don't hold back.
Spill the beans!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Rules of the forum.....if you refuse to discuss your story the title to your car must be signed over to the most deserving member.....which of course is ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Worries 66 Fastback, i'll keep that in mind, ( frantically writing story now ) LOL ooooooh, faster, faster, faster

Thanks for your reply, larry

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
I can write a lot of it if you like. :)

·
Administrator
21,795 Posts
I'm sure Dan could elaborate or sensationalize some of it too! lol Oh yeah, did you already post a pic??? Haven't seen any complaints on that yet so maybe you did and i missed it!

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Larry, start with why you were after one, and how you came about finding it.
Then the questions will come.
Then follow up with installments on what you have done with it so far.
It's easier than writing the whole lot in one session, where people might see that it is too long to read.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi ShotRod, you must know Dan better than i do, LOL, and no sorry i haven't posted any photos, Don't no how to yet, but will definitely work on it

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
The first pictures revealed.......

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Dan, Thanks for posting the pics for me, i will have to learn how to do it myself, The first pic is the day the car was towed from the " Barn " in Kentucky, to see daylight, for the first time in 21 years,

I will now try to get the story to follow

Thanks to everyone for their interest

Regards, larry

·
Administrator
21,795 Posts
OK, I'll get the ball rolling.

Larry started off this epic journey by logging in to Ford Muscle one day to inquire about the R code for sale in this thread.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie/501651-1963-1-2-galaxie-427-r-code-survivor.html

In the mean time, he was scouring the internet looking for other options........

Over to you Larry! :)
LOL Sound like a reporter spoof! But good!

It sure was a clean barn, mine sure didn't look that clean! Must be fairies in there. Nice lookin ride and of course great color! You trying to keep up with the Danvses? :) Couldn't help myself!

Dan, on that link he had others to sell also and gary mentioned a pic, did the guy remove the pics or did he see the pics in a pm or ?

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Deb, I have been corresponding with Larry for the last year since he originally posted about wanting an R Code. He is an Aussie, so I thought I would help him out where I could, even though he is on the other side of Australia. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Deb, just read what you said to Dan, something about the Link, gary, Others to sell, I'm not quite sure what you mean, if you let me know a bit more detail, i will try and give you more details, if i know what they are

Regards, larry

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Larry has just emailed the story for me to post up, as he is a forum virgin LOL! :)
When I get home from work tonight, I will email him with instructions about posting photos and copy and pasting etc.

So here it is......................

Hi everyone

i have decided to send the story of my " Barn Find " 63.5 R code Galaxie Fastback, i hope you find it interesting,

I came across it by accident while i was looking at a Mustang forum, told the fella don't be put off by the fact that i am in Australia, all he had to do was to sell me the car, He agreed , But even before i had an inspection done, i told the seller that providing the car was a Genuine R code, he could consider the car sold, and re assured me the car was mine if i wanted it, i even offered to give him a deposit, but he said it wasn't necassary, He told me of any defects with the car, that he was aware of, The rear bar needed re chroming, the interior had mold on the seats and there were some small blisters in the paint on the RH rear 1/4 panel just behind the wheel arch,

I believe that while the car was sitting in Indianapolis, there were 3 offers made to buy the car, The car was last driven in 1991, it was then parked inside a shed in Kentucky, on a concrete floor with plastic sheets on the concrete to prevent moisture from rising, it had a custom made top quality car cover over it then had a "box" built around it, it never saw the light of day for 21 years until it was towed from the shed / barn to be sent to Indianapolis for me,

I was amazed when i saw the car, it is unrestored and all matching numbers, the Holleys are the correct List No and it still has the original Ford aluminium ID part No tags on them.The car has Transistorized ignition and a very old antiquated but original alternator, that still works perfectly, Almost everything on the car is still in working condition, right down to the windscreen washers and the cigarette lighter

Before i even bothered to check condition of the parts, as a matter of course, i removed the Fuel/Gas tank and found it looked brand new inside, i replaced all the rubber fuel lines, did the fuel pump, water pump and overhauled the Holleys,The radiator was full and had plenty of antifreeze in it. When i removed the water pump and checked inside the water galleries in the block, it was like New, I removed the distributor and ran the oil pump up with a cordless drill in reverse and was amazed when it had 70 PSI of oil pressure, I didn't change the plugs or points, all at least 21 years old, fitted a new battery, cranked it over and couldn't believe when it fired and then started, My wife said " in 40 years, she has never seen me look so happy or excited " i did the master cylinder and wheel cylinders and fitted all new steel and rubber brake lines. Here we have a very stringent test for a Road Worthy Certificate and it passed the RWC first time, The car is now fully road registered Everthing works great on the car Still with those 21 year old plugs and points i have revved it to 5500 with no stress. i had the rear bar re-chromed and the seats came up wonderful with just a wash with warm soapy water

The Bloke i bought the car from is a Terrific and Honest person, and i have struck up a great friendship with him and i plan to go to the States to visit him one day

1 - 20 of 60 Posts