Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gathered all the parts to do one conversion. I want to do three. I bought a harness off ebay from American Autowire. The four wires at the module are in the wrong positions in the connector as to color? I dont have a blue one around here to look at. I really dont want to cut and splice or I would have not bought this harness. Do they actually line up with what you have? dura spark.jpg
Thanks

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If the colors match up then swap holes to mate same color to same color. Simple.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Sounds wrong. FYI however, some Ford harnesses have the RED and WHT wires reversed, and it's mentioned in the FSM. I would question the correctness of the wire harness, and ask for ones to be built to Ford spec if getting any others for a DuraSpark I. DS-I wiring is simpler, but has one wire different to the module. You found at least one obvious error. If it isn't right, it isn't right. Compare with pic.

That one appears to be for the common blue-grommet box (DS-II), as it specifies a resistor in the circuit that the red box (DS-I) does not use. Not a biggie, as you'll just not include the resistor in there. You also probably found one wire in the wrong spot to the distributor, right? See next pic.

David

This wiring is for conversions to keep the heavier load off the old ignition switches. The additional relay is optional, but shows the simpler RED box wiring:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ebay seller decided it was my job to call the manufacturer to take care of there problem. I called today and he asked when I purchased the harness. I said it arived Friday and I installed Saturday. He told me they were made by an outside vendor and a year ago they supposed to have made 10 bad ones. Apparently I got one of the bad ones. New one is on the way.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
They're idiots. Did you tell them DS1 didn't appear until '77? Never mind, I doubt they'd listen. At least we know where not to go. Sorry you had to be the guinea pig.
:frown:
David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
New Harness came, same as the other except the coil wires were in the right slots. Called back and they say red grommet is 1975 only and that is why the colors dont line up. I guess it is time to cut and splice. :mad:
They're idiots. Did you tell them DS1 didn't appear until '77? Never mind, I doubt they'd listen. At least we know where not to go. Sorry you had to be the guinea pig.
:frown:
David
No Dave, they are not idiots. They are having a hard time actually understanding FORD SSI/DURASPARK of the period. It is actually much more complicated than what is being described here. The only way to go about the conversion is with DURASPARK II (Blue Strain Relief) (several versions of DSPK II in addition).

All of these different wiring harnesses were released to prevent the wrong ignition module from being plugged into the wrong vehicle harness.

The RED strain relief was 1977-79 CA only. FORD had a very high failure rate with these modules. They should be avoided. The BLUE strain relief is the module wanted for conversions.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Ebay seller decided it was my job to call the manufacturer to take care of there problem.
You really need to add a comment on the seller's page and give him a less than stellar review. He is selling junk (although it may not be intentional) and others need to be warned.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You remember the strain relief color on a new 1984 model you bought?
Guess not...

Your SVO would have had a YELLOW grommet (DUAL MODE - TURBO Spark Delay) (If DURASPARK).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I remember it clearly, I owned the car until 2004.

One of the advantages of first hand experience, versus
cut and paste.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts

cut and paste.
You are FOS... ;)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You're pulling my leg, right?

1984 SVO MUST 2.3L TURBO EFI?

I just pulled out the 1984 FORD Shop Manual (HC- ENGINE/EMMISSIONS) and it says all MUST 2.3L TURBOS (50 State & CAN) came through with TFI-IV.

I stand corrected, you are not FOS. You are merely uneducated. I can't berate you for that.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Originally Posted by KULTULZ

cut and paste.
In all seriousness... :confused: ...

I think what he is referring to on the SVO is a BOOST CONTROL MODULE (E4ZZ 9C728-A). It is mounted on the right apron and is very much similar in appearance to a DURASPARK IGN MODULE.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts