Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as i have been unsuccessful with finding a real, somewhat confident answer online about where my red line should be I've decided to ask myself. hope you guys can help me out here!:grin2:

I've never had a tachometer in my car until i recently rebuilt my 302 so i have never known what it revs to. so ever since i got the tachometer and looked at stock red line in my shop manual and saw 3500-4000 i felt like that was a little low. granted it has 2 bolt mains in it i still feel like it could go up.

just so you guys have an idea of what i did to the motor as a base line here is a list of it all.
-68 block and heads
-Cylinder bore of .020
-Over sized flat top pistons to match
-Original rods
-Shaved crank with bearings to compensate (.010)
-Comp cams XE256H-10
-Stock heads with minor exhaust porting done
-High flow oil pump
-New springs and push rods
-Edelbrock Performer intake
-Edelbrock 600cfm electric choke
-ARP all around
-New electric fuel pump

all backed by a freshly rebuilt C4 with a b&m quicksilver shifter

now I'm about 700 miles into the rebuild and am at the point where I'm comfortable giving it the beans. but i don't know where i should be at redline? what do you guys have to say? Thank you in advance for all the help!

I'll try to upload some images if i can figure out how:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
i hope the springs are high perf and not stock type.

also, if you did not pin the rocker studs or install screw in studs, they will likely pull up in the heads.

yes that cam is done by 4500 and it will not spin past 5000 . it is the smallest "performance" cam comp makes.

you do not need a high flow oil pump . i hope you installed a high perf oil pump drive.

i also wouldn't run 20w-50 in it.

your compression will be low if you used 2 barrel heads . if you did and want more power, i would increase the compression.

you may get more power by installing a lighter secondary spring in the carb and properly setting the timing curve so t is optimal for your engine.

i would also remove the two front plugs and post a close up photo of the porcelain and post the part number.

i also use 180 t stats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts