Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to build a good daily driver car that gets good fuel economy using a 64/65 falcon as the starting base car?

I'm thinking a 289 or 302 mild engine with a fuel injection system, good ignition and probably a 5 speed or an auto with a 3.0 gear. Not really interesting in making it a performance car just reliable and fuel economy over 20 and would like to see 25 mpg.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think starting with a complete 5.0 drivetrain would be the best way to go. But you only going to be able to get your 20 + mpg is if your driving is all hiway with few stops. I personally think that a 3.8 V6 would be a good choice for milage. I had a 93 Tbird that would pull over 30 on the road and a 2000 Taurus that would average 28 city/hiway.

·
Subscriber
518 Posts
It'll be hard to give you concrete MPG numbers, but sure, a small EFI drivetrain in a 64-65 would be a reliable driver.
I'm about to start working on a similar project, except I'm keeping the original straight-6.
A buddy of mine (who is a bowtie guy, unfortunately) just dropped a LS into a '56 for his wife. She loves it - says it drives like a "normal" car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think starting with a complete 5.0 drivetrain would be the best way to go. But you only going to be able to get your 20 + mpg is if your driving is all hiway with few stops. I personally think that a 3.8 V6 would be a good choice for milage. I had a 93 Tbird that would pull over 30 on the road and a 2000 Taurus that would average 28 city/hiway.
Excellent recommendations. Those are the numbers I'd be looking for. Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll be hard to give you concrete MPG numbers, but sure, a small EFI drivetrain in a 64-65 would be a reliable driver.
I'm about to start working on a similar project, except I'm keeping the original straight-6.
A buddy of mine (who is a bowtie guy, unfortunately) just dropped a LS into a '56 for his wife. She loves it - says it drives like a "normal" car.
I considered the in line 6 (I think the 200 is the best engine) as I think they will get the economy and provide enough power. I just wasn't sure about how reliable it would be considering it's all 65 components. Thanks for your advice

·
Super Moderator
21,522 Posts
A friend of mine had a Falcon with the 200 inline 6 and got around 25 or so on the highway. Don't remember the in town mileage but wasn't bad. Even better if he didn't drive it like a maniac. :)

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
It will never be a modern car with the reliability we've been spoiled with in the last couple decades. You're dealing with 50+ year old technology, with 50 years worth of age on it. Even if you do replace every single part on the car, you're still dealing with aftermarket, non-OEM parts that have not been as thoroughly tested as something from a major automaker. If you drive one of these cars around as a daily driver, SOLE TRANSPORTATION, you must accept the fact that you're going to have to work on it on a fairly regular basis. It's just the nature of the beast.

My advice, is to buy a 'beater' to drag yourself back and forth to work... and keep the classic in the garage for nice days. And don't even think about storing an old car like that outside, as they are quickly reclaimed by mother nature.

Good Luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 1956 Ranchwagon has complete 5.0 H.O. Efi with AOD from a donor ’93 mustang
and 3.40 gears. It is VERY reliable - I built it as a daily driver and have driven it approximately 30,000 miles with no drivetrain issues. Couple of years ago my wife and I drove it from home in Western Washington State to Chicago, then down route 66 to Arizona and back through Colorado, Utah, etc. . Total mileage that trip about 6400 averaging just a tad over 20 mpg.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've put over 30,000 miles on my Ranchero since I bought it in 2015, and took it on a 16-day 4,800 road trip last year. 289 4-speed car, with original drivetrain, Edelbrock 500 carb, 2.80 rear. Fully loaded with camping gear, it averaged 17.9 in the hills and 20.1 on the flats. Absolutely reliable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't remember the MPG Kelly gets, but she sure as heck drives a reliable '66 Mustang with a 289 with multiple 10s of thousands of miles all over the continental US.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think a stock 5.0 Fox Mustang drive line in your Falcon with a 300 to 3.27 gear should get you about 18 to 22 mpg . I built a Factory Five Cobra With a 5.0 that put out about 375 hp with a t5 and a 3.27 and got about 22 to 24 highway and 18 to 19 in the city. It was a little lighter than my Falcon. About 500lbs. Stay away from the wide tires and keep them aired up proper. You should be happy.The 2.3 turbo would be sweet. Not to sure about the fit .Roger

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it possible to build a good daily driver car that gets good fuel economy using a 64/65 falcon as the starting base car?

I'm thinking a 289 or 302 mild engine with a fuel injection system, good ignition and probably a 5 speed or an auto with a 3.0 gear. Not really interesting in making it a performance car just reliable and fuel economy over 20 and would like to see 25 mpg.

Thanks, Bill
It's been awhile since I've logged on to this forum. I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful advice. I'm still toying around with the idea of getting a project car for this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts