Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What fuel tank could I use to get mines out of the cab?? I have a few prospects lined up, but didn't want to have to fabricate around a fuel tank!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ford had some strange ways reguarding fuel tanks in the 73 to 79 range some were in the cab and some were under the bed. I would look for a donor truck that has one under the bed and use it and all the mounting hardware would be a bolt in. As for the bed i know several people that have done this and they have either cut a hole in the bed or left the filler just inside the wheel well. Personally if i was to do it i would cut the hole and put one of those billet fuel doors on.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
A brand new rear tank can be had from JC Whitney for about $100. You'll just needed to locate a sending unit and locking ring for it. Straps to hold it up can be fabbed from simple flat bar.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks for the info Merlin. I've been around 67-up Ford trucks since they were new and have never seen a 73-79 with the tank in the cab. I would have bet money they didn't exist. It just goes to show, when it comes to Fords, never say never!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before going out and buying a tank out of a yard or a new one, MEASURE your frame width. I have a '77 F250 hiboy 4x4 with the tank in the cab. Ford did this on these trucks only because the used a narrower frame on these compared to the rest. The 73-77 f250 trucks measure 33" inside-inside frame width while the others measure 36" i believe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts