Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!, me again with a new question. - I do not have an ignition key for my 64' convertible, and I just bought a door lock and ignition switch set. My dilema is this: I know how to remove the ignition switch with the key, but I have no key for the ignition!!! Will I have to have a locksmith come out and make me a key, or can the switch be removed in a different way? Thanks for all the help!!! -bluexl

·
Registered
281 Posts
As FE said, have a key made from the door lock but take both door locks in case one is different. If this does not work you can remove the crome center and thin steel center from the ignition switch with a small screw driver then take the retaining nut off allowing the switch to slip out the back. Now take the switch to the lock shop and have them remove the tumbler. Good luck and do not destroy the dash.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I was thinking the tumblers had to be removed before the ring could be unscrewed. I'd have to look at my spare though to remind myself.

Taking the door locks in is the best idea and least costly.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Under normal sircomstance yes the tumbler needs to be removed befor the ring will come off. If the key is not available as in this case, the tumbler would need to be destroyed without destroying the switch itself. Hopefully the door locks are original and the key can be made from that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not have the original door locks, as they were removed long before I got the car. I had to buy the ignition and door locks set, and a cylinder w/keys for the trunk aswell. When I got the car these were all already off. I'm thinking the locksmith might be the way to go......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it out! I ended up drilling it out, but I did buy a new switch anyway, as when the tumber collapsed I was able to pull the switch out the back but the tumbler was still wedged in there pretty good so I bought a new switch for $7 bucks. I havn't installed it yet so I'll keep you guys posted. One more question: How do I remove the chrome bezel?, does it just twist or pop off?, I just thought I'd ask so as to not damage anything, but I do have a new one so I just thought I'd use it now. Thanks again guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts