Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I want to install a remote car starter into the a 65 galaxy. I've done a search and havent had any luck. I'm not as interested in the remote car starting capability, i'm more interested in the actual brain of the system that will crank the engine correctly. (have a little project in mind with a microcontroller).

anyways. I believe that the systems need a tach signal wire to detect when the engine has turned over. Has anyone installed a similar system? and how do you get a tach signal from a car w/o a tach?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Check out Dakota Digital.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
... anyways. I believe that the systems need a tach signal wire to detect when the engine has turned over. Has anyone installed a similar system? and how do you get a tach signal from a car w/o a tach?
The remote system simply watches the voltage spikes from the coil (-) terminal (tach signal), and stops cranking when the frequency rises above a set level. For remote systems that can only use a 5V tach trigger system (for newer cars with ECMs), a Zener diode and resistor pair are often used to hold the signal under 5V.

David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The remote system simply watches the voltage spikes from the coil (-) terminal (tach signal), and stops cranking when the frequency rises above a set level. For remote systems that can only use a 5V tach trigger system (for newer cars with ECMs), a Zener diode and resistor pair are often used to hold the signal under 5V.

David
oh awesome. thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts