Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to remove the clutch fan I need to replace the water pump and can't get it locked up enough to turn the nut. It is directly threaded onto the waterpump.....HELP!!!!!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nut I am trying to loosen is attached to the clutch, and is threaded onto the shaft of the water pump, you can on'y get an open ended wrench on it......It isn't like a balancer bolt.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Let me know what you find, I need to do the one in my '92 f-150.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHAT A PITA!!!!! I'm wondering if there is a way to lock the water pump last thing I want todo is damage the pulley....

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Use two wrenches. one will try to tighten while the other one will be taking off the nut. When you get to the last one you can hand thread two bolts in just enough to hold it with a screw driver holding against the bolts.
Paul

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I know what you're talking about. The fan clutch screws directly onto the water pump shaft....there aren't any 1/2" head bolts like earlier cars/trucks....

those threaded-on fan clutches are a pain to take off. I can't remember if they're left hand thread or right hand. I think they're left hand thread.

I took my brother's off of his '94 F150 with a big crescent wrench and a piece of belt wrapped around the pulley. Even then, it wasn't the easiest thing to do. Looks like it might be easier to leave the belt on all of the pulleys and then try to back the clutch off with the crescent. Still might have to have someone help hold the pulley from turning somehow.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Never thought of that! And I do that every day....but with steel drain plugs screwed into cast aluminum engine cases. It's the only way to do it without damaging anything.

I took a plug out of a Yamaha R6 a while back with a 17mm socket & ratchet...broke the whole bottom part of the oil pan out because the steel plug seizes into the aluminum pan. Air chisel from now on! They bust loose almost immediately.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mavman on 8/8/06 10:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found an awesome replacement for these pieces of SH*T, its an adapter made by flexalite that allows you to thread it on and replace the clutch set-up with a normal fan, it is either that or I am going over to an electric fan. What a screwed up design, I am more worried about damaging the pulley!!! I am going to Autozone to see if they have any tools, I have heard of a few style, and if not I'll use an air chisel.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There are special fan wrenches. You can get OTC or cheap ATDs that work just fine. This is nothing new ,Ford has used these for 20 years. Make sure you get it tight going back on, or upon shut off they can free wheel themselves right off and destroy your radiator.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
I have done a few of them including my own '93 F-150 with a 4.9. I borrowed the special wrenches from a friend of mine, but the way that I got it off was to leave the serpentine belt in place to keep the water pump from turning, and then place a large screwdriver directly on the clutch, then hit the screwdriver very hard with a decent sized hammer opposite the direction of rotation. The clutch will spin loose after a few whacks. My buddy that lent me the wrenches is a Ford tech at a local dealership, and that is the way they get them all off. Try it, it will work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts