Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to do a head and cam job on my 1970 mustang with a 302 and c-4 tranny. Would i be better off doing it in the car or removing engine. I think i should just remove engine (for room purposes) but dont know if I should do engine alone or engine and tranny...
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Allan

·
Registered
83 Posts
I say just pull the engine. You'll have to disconnect everything anyway, so why not just pull the mator? You may also find it less of a hassle seating the intake, putting on the heads, and messing with lash adjustments. That's what I did, plus I got to paint the motor and the engine compartment, too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should i pull motor and tranny or just motor?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unless you're gonna rebuild the tranny, I wouldn't pull it. I pulled a C4 with a 302 once, and it was a pain to diconnect the linkage, cooling lines, etc., then have to try to get it back in. If you're not changing anything on the tranny, just let it sit on a jack. Or put wire through the two top bellhousing holes and hang it from the firewall. my .02

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
unless you are going to check the bottom end (pull the oil pan off), i'd leave the motor in the car. by the time you do the extra work of pulling the engine, you could have the cam changed and be putting it back together. And there is plenty room to work once you take the radiator out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts