Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reason to believe that my power valve has blown in my 3310 holley. I removed the front fuel bowl but I don't know how to remove the valve. My Holley performance book says I need a 1 inch wrench to remove it but it's nowhere near that size and it's round and not hex head. Am I looking at the right thing? Is it located above the two main jets?

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
Pull the metering block off, you are seeing the backside of the PV. Once you get the next plate off, you'll see the 1 inch hex

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh...I understad now. Can I do all this with the carb. still on the engine?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Yes. You'll need something to remove the metering block. Putty knife, screwdriver may be good choices... The gasket usually sticks to the metering block making it tough to separate.
HTH

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In other words, I'm going to need a gasket set before I do this?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
yes!! And may I recommend some Non-stick gaskets from moroso?
they are made of rubber and are good for "life" they are pricey but after you spend 30 minutes cleaning off the sticky holley stock gaskets, I think youll agree that they are worth the money. I sure did!
I also have the nylon bowl screw gaskets that act as the washers. they last forever also.
heres a summit racing link
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=moroso+holley&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp
just brows the parts and youll see the gaskets.

Anyways when running a holley you should always pick up a rebuild kit for the other gaskets and assorted hardware that it always has. Just throw away the stock Bowl gaskets.
Good luck with the power valve issue.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I got the PV out today. I was told to clean it off and suck on the flat end to see if I can pull the plunger back......and I can't...so it's bad right? Do you have to be superman to be able to suck the plunger back because I can't, no matter how hard I try.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 82GT on 3/7/06 7:56am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2006-03-06 15:57, fastranger wrote:
How did you know you had a bad power valve?What was the
symtoms...?
THANKS
Because it started fouling plugs, which it NEVER did before. I installed a new set of plugs and they were completely black within 5 minutes of idling. Plus, it just didn't sound quite right.
I didn't know for sure if it was the PV or not....it was just one of the first things I checked.
I'm waiting for someome to tell me if I checked it correctly or not and if, indeed, my PV is bad.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
For future reference. Put some ChapStick on the gaskets prior to install, Even the cheap ones come off good using ChapStick.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2006-03-06 17:35, wildosvt01 wrote:
For future reference. Put some ChapStick on the gaskets prior to install, Even the cheap ones come off good using ChapStick.
When I took the fuel bowl off and primary plate, I discovered it already had the blue, non-stick, gaskets.
So, is my PV bad?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The power valve is about $5. If you cant make it cycle back and forth with your sucking on it then its prob got a hole in it. Sounds like you might have had a sneeze through the carb and it popped it?
Thats the really the only reason i can think of why it might have gone bad.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On 2006-03-06 18:13, 71hotrodpinto wrote:
The power valve is about $5. If you cant make it cycle back and forth with your sucking on it then its prob got a hole in it. Sounds like you might have had a sneeze through the carb and it popped it?
Thats the really the only reason i can think of why it might have gone bad.
Yeah, come to think of it, it did spit through the carb. a few times before. My car sets in the garage during the winter and I go out once a month to start it up. It's sometimes really cold out and doesn't like to start when it's extremely cold and that's when it sometimes spits through the carb.

BTW, I like your car! I've always wanted a V-8 pinto and would like to have one someday.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
hey thanks,! Yah maybe ill get to actually hear it run and drive it before this years up ! LOL

Anyways ,heres a question for all interested.
There is a kit for the power valve blowout protection but its only listed for the 4000 series of carbs.
Is his 3310 imune from this problem or what?? whats the difference?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 3310 is also in the 4160 catagory. I'm not sure how that all works though.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
No difference. If you look in the PV chamber, you'll see a small hole in the bottom. That leads to the bottom of the carb where it can pick up manifold vacuum. The PV protection deal is just a little check valve, so the kit is probably a small drill and the check ball assy - you drill the base plate of the carb and press in the checkball. The newer 3310s will have this installed already. As also pointed out, PV are $5 at about any autopart store - don't test, just toss and replace. The PV gaskets don't seem to last long with oxygenated fuels - they don't seem to last long period. About a year or so.

1967 Falcon 4 door w/351C - Owner built, owner abused.
70 Mustang 302 / 02 Mustang V6 rag top, 04 SuperCrew parts hauler
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 3/7/06 10:38pm ]</font>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts