·
Registered
7,376 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Lester,
Ms. American has a large diameter HEI Connection Distributor.

Why?

Why would you want to do THAT?

Don't think you will have to do THAT.

JC
Just looking at the new dist. it's 2 times larger than the orginal. I hoping I don't have to rearrange anything. Just didn't want to go in blindly.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I do not use the tanks on my Galaxies and what you will need to convert depends some on what your system looks like now?
You will need a water neck that bolts to the intake where the tank now goes. These can be from a later year car that did not use a tank or they can be purchased on line from places like Rock auto. You will need to know what size thermostat your manifold takes and match the water neck to that size. If you have the large diameter t-stat finding a used water neck will be much harder but early model trucks with FE engines had them so they are out there.
Second, you will have to match up an upper water hose from something, likely from a ford truck.
Third, you will need some place to add water and to check water levels. You can do this in one of several ways. You can buy water necks that have a provision to stack a water cap block on the top or you can get one of the in line hose type but the best is to get a radiator that has a provision for a cap on it. 65 and later usually have this type of radiator.

Scott...

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I will solve your problem right now Les.

WHAT IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU NEED A HEI Dist in your GALAXIE for?????

Pertronix is EQUAL to the HEI in an all stock FE, and NOBODY can make a STOCK engine comparison that will show a difference on a Dyno that will make you blink an eye.

Don't bother with that excessive crap. A coil and Points are GREAT, a Coil and Pertronix are excellent. An HEI is a waste on your car.

FE

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
i will solve your problem right now les.

What in the hell do you think you need a hei dist in your galaxie for?????

Fe
X2

You can even go hotter with PERTRONIX with PERTRONIX III. The system is hidden and does not distract from the engine appearance.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Let me insert this here-

The reason FORD used the expansion tank on the 60/64 (and many other applications) was the use of a low mount cross-flow radiator (to allow the sloping hood nose design) (visually compare the grille of say a 59 FORD and a 59 BIRD). Whatever filler type one chooses to use in lieu of the tank, that filler has to be above the coolant level of the thermostat and cross-flow tank or the system will not burp itself.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Have a radiator shop put a fill neck on the left top of your radiator, use a thermostat housing from a 65 Galaxie with a 390 (it fits the large thermostat). But I can tell you from experience that your Galaxie will tend to over heat a little more quickly with out the tank. And as FE said why the hell would you want to put a GM part on your Ford? Besides a HEI distributor is UGLY.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Better even than a Pertronix is perhaps a CD box triggered by points. Mine's hidden and you'd never know it was there. BIG sparks good.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The HEI was FREE(which I can afford) We're not about LOOKS, it performance I'm after..It can't be seen with the hood shut.No one will ever see the HEI untill I open the hood. THANKS for everyones input.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The HEI was FREE(which I can afford) We're not about LOOKS, it performance I'm after..It can't be seen with the hood shut.No one will ever see the HEI untill I open the hood. THANKS for everyones input.
You are quite correct, but a test fit may surprise you also... (might work with the tank)

Carry on...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts