Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These days Ive begun to install disc brakes in front and rear part of the car. The rear shaft on the passengers side is stucked, I have problems with getting it out. I tried this method: Ford 9" Axle Shaft Removal, but I couldnt use all my force since the car stands on stands, if I pull too hard , the car may fall down and make harm. Someone has some other hints about methods or tools to remove the shaft?

·
Registered
809 Posts
These days Ive begun to install disc brakes in front and rear part of the car. The rear shaft on the drivers side is stucked, I have problems with getting it out. I tried this method: Ford 9" Axle Shaft Removal, but I couldnt use all my force since the car stands on stands, if I pull too hard , the car may fall down and make harm. Someone has some other hints about methods or tools to remove the shaft?
I use a big slide hammer with a adapter that bolts on to the studs.

If you don't have one, check with local auto parts. The auto parts store around here have loaner/rental programs where you can borrow such.

Lou

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Can you tell where its 'stuck'? (ie: does the retainer plate move any?) I have had to in the past smack the axle with a 3# shop hammer. Not trying to drive it completely thru the tube but just a good smack. I am sure there will be opposition to this method from others but its always worked for me.

MRO.....

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
instead of using a drum ,you can try same metod with a rim and tire for more of a slide hammer effect....

also if you have a long heavy chain ,attach one end to lug grab other end of chain and snap it like a whip..
that will work like a slide hammer also....

when i removed axle stub on mine , first time
i had trouble also with one side...
i have a small propane torch . heated up around axle tube/flange (not to much ,not to dammage seal) tapped a little with hammer...
gave it a couple more whips with chain and it came right out....;)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the good hints

The 4 flange bolts is off course removed.....;)

With "stucked" I mean that the axle isnt possible to move

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Thanks for all the good hints

With "stucked" I mean that the axle isnt possible to move
anythings possible.....;)

with big enuff shoes, you can walk on water too...:D

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One proverb tells this: nothing is impossible, it just takes a bit longer time:tup:

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
Might try as mroldfart mentioined, hit it with a hammer on the end of the axle. The vibration and shock of the hammer hitting it might make it loosen up. Spray WD40 or other kind of penetrating oil or spray in there best you can. Not sure what you have over there for sprays.

Am curious and ask the others here, would there be any advantage if the car were stable, of turning the driveshaft which might turn or wiggle loose the axle with the flange bolts out like it is?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Could someone post up a picture of the situation? I might have to replace a bearing in mine. I'd like to follow this conversation better so some pics would help, maybe.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
Here's a how-to, one of many and there are youtube videos also puttster. This might help the OP too, knowing what is shown.

Ford 9" Axle Shaft Removal

Here's a video. I don't have a clue what he was saying as i didn't want to hear the hubs complain bout interrupting his movie but it's pretty clear even without sound. If he's cursing etc, i didn't know. :) He is using the drum as a slide hammer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNLePvUoM3A

After removing tire/wheel and drum you will see the end of the axle, it looks like this. The whole is so that you can access the 4 nuts on the axle flange behind it. Rotate the axle so the hole lines up with the bolt behind it so you can remove it.
Auto part Machine Wheel

When you pull on the axle after removing the nuts it will look like this.
Auto part Brake Vehicle brake Gear Crankshaft

This is the other end with axle completely pulled out.
Auto part Vehicle brake Brake Wheel

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If the axle will not turn, most likely the bearing has frozen. You are going to have to go aggressive-

A puller should be available at a box store or equipment rental place.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the small city I live, no one offer rental shops. Therefore I got this primitive almost homemade "slidehammer" made at a steelshop today: http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr360/1976kjell/SAM_1391.jpg. Another nut and a movable and heavy "hammer" on the threaded stick is the next step to get

The axle can easily be rotated, so the bearing is ok I assume

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
...hmmm...

What is it about Norway that I can't seem to understand? :confused:

The fabricated slide you show should do the job.

If the car is precariously balanced on stands, maybe have someone steady it while you pull. Just be ready to jump... :eek:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.