Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday next week , my plan is to deliver my 63 Galaxie at a paint shop, to get it painted, getting rid of some rusty spots. I have to remove the rear bumper.

Today, I tried to remove the rear bumper, but the bumper was almost impossible to get of. I couldnt get it off

I removed all the retaing bolts, that was also difficult. The most outer mounting arms keeps the bumper on the car, cause the bumpers corners at the sides touch the outer arms when I try to pull the bumper of.

Is it totally necessary to remove all the arms to get the bumper off, or does someone know about a trick or more to get it off? If the arms have to be removed, two other problems exists: The muffler on the drives side probably has to be removed, and I doesnt get the nut of one of the mounting bolts which mounts the arms to the frame on the passengers side. I cant hold the head of the bolt, I feel with my fingers that the head of that bolt just is a round plate. The bolt rotates with the nut.

One possibility may be to temporary bend the outer arms, to get the bumper off, that requires 2 or 3 persons

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just went through this exact same thing on my 63. I too am getting ready to put mine in the shop for paint. You have to remove at least one of the outer brackets on the back in order to get the bumper off. Or at least loosen them up enough so they move somewhat freely. As far as getting that last mounting bolt off, I had the same problems with almost all of mine. Almost every one snapped when I was trying to remove it. I ended up ordering all new bolts from monsterfastner.com. On the ones that stripped out and started turning on me I clamped down as hard as I possibly could with vice grips on the head and had someone hold it while I turned the nut on the back. In almost every case the bolt snapped. But at least I got it off. If you end up needing more bolts: Monster Item Details - 7/16-14 x 1-1/4 Bumper Bolt. I got them earlier this week and quality looks pretty good. This includes the nuts and lock washers. Best deal I found. I checked with my local Fastenal and they wanted $250 for just the bolts. I laughed in their face.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got off all the mounting bolts, which mounts the bumper to the brackets, two of them was very hard to get off

The problem I have now is one of the two mounting bolts that mounts the brackets to the frame.The bolt rotates with the nut, and its impossible to get a grip on the head of that bolt. I have sprayed some stuff on it, similiar to 5-56 or WD40 to get the nut more loose. I can try to use a wice grip, but that may destroy the threads on the bolt

·
Registered
208 Posts
Oh, I see what you are saying. Well if you have to destroy the bolt, can you just get a new one or replace it with something similar?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Off course I can replace the bolt. Eventually I have to cut the bolt with an angel grinder

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got the bumper of, by loosing the bracket on the passengers side a bit.

The car is almost ready for painting

Thanks for help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts