Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - I have learned a ton from this forum - Thanks for the info.

I finally received my 66 Gal (2 door hardtop) two weeks ago. I've been taking her apart to start body work. I'm looking at the windows in the door and wondering how to take the glass out of there. Before I start trying a bunch of bolts I was wondering if anyone could "show me the way?"

I have the door panels off and can see the roll-up mechanism through the cut-outs in the door frame. Where do I go from here?

Thanks for the help.

John Hovis
Carlsbad CA

·
Registered
646 Posts
The glass is pressed into the bottom rail which is a part of the whole roll up mechanism. I think if you roll it up and down and look closely at where the rollers go into the tracks you will be able to figure out which bolts are necessary to remove to get just the glass and the bottom rail out. I recall that there are flathead screws that secure the roller rails to the bottom glass rail. They might be covered in old grease and hard to see but I think if you can get to just those you might not have to remove the whole mechanism. Good Luck!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Check out Ebay for a shop manual. It'll be a few bucks but will be well worth it for the research in the future. I'd get a wiring diagram and a set of crash sheets while I was at it. Start a library of resources for the future, you'll be glad you did!

·
Registered
198 Posts
With the interior panel removed, you will be able to see the lower window frame rail. There are some (4?) small phillips head screws along the metal rail. Take these out and the window will be free of the regulator assembly.

No need to loosen any big bolts. But be aware that the regulator is spring loaded.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
On 2006-05-11 08:50, specnot wrote:
With the interior panel removed, you will be able to see the lower window frame rail. There are some (4?) small phillips head screws along the metal rail. Take these out and the window will be free of the regulator assembly.

No need to loosen any big bolts. But be aware that the regulator is spring loaded.
yeah that spring loaded thing can get ya if your not careful- I had to replace a door on the wifes windstar(still similar), took entire mechanism out to repaint new (used) door, what a PITA to get in/out...sharp, springloaded scissors in almost inaccesable area= easy way to lose fingers if not careful...

on my 65 I found a few of the phillips headed screws were loose/stripped out(might have been for rollers- dont recall)- theyre a self tapping type into the potmetal looking frame...I tapped out for 10-32 and loctited new screws in. I would suggest stuffing a old towel in the door bottom, flap up and tape inside doorskin as high as possible before rolling window down to prevent dinging from inside out if you slip...lot thicker than new cars, but still easy to ding.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ford4v429 on 5/16/06 11:05am ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts