Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the pass side door skin, qtr patch and rocker on and probably worked to the 95% level. Going to let the body shop do the final finish and fit for painting.

Turned my attention to the "good side" of the car. Got it stripped and the door off for re skinning. I have the skin, came as a good deal set so may as well. There is not much rust, but what the heck?

The surprise was some more collision damage just behind the C scoop and along the top of the wheel radius. Looks like a parking lot crease, not bad, it was pulled out with a slide hammer and filled. Pretty nice work considering the age of paint on the car, probably 80s era.

I am thinking of cropping out the "buldge area" just behind the C scoop and along the wheel radius, buying the qtr patch and wheel radius panel and replacing them. The damage isnt nearly as bad as the pass side was, that is the only reason I am questioning if I should do this. At what point is filling minor damage better or time/cost beneficial over cutting an replacing. I may be too hung up on minimizing filler. This area had an 1/8th to 1/4 inch filler in some of the deeper areas.

Lots to be said for digging out old filler, it was starting to rust under the filler, so that would have ruined an expensive paint job in a matter of year.

I am off to DC for work for a few days, but will post some pics when I get back. Just wanted to toss this out.

Sorry so long, thanks Chris

·
Registered
809 Posts
?

The surprise was some more collision damage just behind the C scoop and along the top of the wheel radius. Looks like a parking lot crease, not bad, it was pulled out with a slide hammer and filled. Pretty nice work considering the age of paint on the car, probably 80s era.

I am thinking of cropping out the "buldge area" just behind the C scoop and along the wheel radius, buying the qtr patch and wheel radius panel and replacing them. The damage isnt nearly as bad as the pass side was, that is the only reason I am questioning if I should do this. At what point is filling minor damage better or time/cost beneficial over cutting an replacing. I may be too hung up on minimizing filler. This area had an 1/8th to 1/4 inch filler in some of the deeper areas.

Lots to be said for digging out old filler, it was starting to rust under the filler, so that would have ruined an expensive paint job in a matter of year.

Sorry so long, thanks Chris
Depend's, When they repaired it with slide hammer did they weld the holes shut, Braze? or use filler (fiberglass/putty)

If it is/was rusting under filler was it from inside out? Since it was already repaired some of the metal may already be thin from previous person grinding and such. also was there any warpage?

I would probably replace.

Lou

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It was pulled and the holes filled with filler. The rust was only surface, but starting none the less.

Where it is, there wasnt much dinging after it was pulled. It would be behind or under the C pillar and not really accesible with a dolly and hammer.

The warpage is the problem, or maybe the existing dent. That nice rounded bulge behind the C scoop is not so good, flatter, they had to build it and shape it with filler (bondo). Probably the main reason I would lean towards cutting and replacing - just to kee from having to shape that body contour back into it.

Ill try and toss up some pics this afternoon before I leave.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics of the damage behind the C scoop and over the wheel radius.

Here is my finished door skin project, lot of rubbing here, so I get what FE means by body work and rubbing. Same with the passenger qtr and rocker. I replaced the area behind and below the C scoop back to the wheel radius and lip.

I am leanding towards cropping out the damage behind the C scoop much like I did on the passenger side. On one hand, the damage isn’t near as bad, so I have more and better metal to work with. Easier. On the other hand, am I going over kill making it hard on myself.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The metal looks pretty good. I would say that its a push or 50/50. Either way. Might be better to leave the original metal intact and just treat it with new, better material so there is no chance of it ever rusting under the fill.

Having done 1 whole rear quarter on my own car I don't really want to do another one - EVER, LOL.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Here are some pics of the damage behind the C scoop and over the wheel radius............

....I am leanding towards cropping out the damage behind the C scoop much like I did on the passenger side. On one hand, the damage isn’t near as bad, so I have more and better metal to work with. Easier. On the other hand, am I going over kill making it hard on myself.
I would cut it out and section it. I feel it would make a cleaner repair and don't think it will be much harder. I don't think it would be overkill.

Lou

1 - 7 of 7 Posts