Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up yall,

The guys over at the HAMB suggested I post here, so I joined up as a new member.

I was trying to get rid of some electrical issues on my '63 Fastback when a terminal on one of my firewall harnesses (8 connector, 6-male, 2-female, engine side) broke.

It's the 2nd harness from top at the firewall below my brake booster. Pic is attached of the broken part.

Anyone have a replacement that they might be willing to part with, or where to get one (perhaps a universal or from Dearborn, etc.)?

Thanks

Willis
Towson, MD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be the one - I'd have to check what else the wiring connects to. I hope I don't have to spend 100+ dollars for just the firewall connector...

Still looking for anyone that might have the terminal to sell...I'll call Dearborn tomorrow to see what's up.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
The Easiest route for that if you're not trying to win any concourse shows is to simply cut the corner of that plug off, and install a single wire pigtail for that terminal. Easy, aesthetically normal and not time consuming.

Simply put a nice male tip on the end of that wire, remove the corner of the plug, plug in the plug and separately plug in the last male wire. Easy schmeasy.

FE

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Another option is to dig the connector out of the plug and put a new one in its place. It is just an uninsulated bullet connector in a big rubber shell. It is the bigger size that can be a little harder to find. The 1.56 is the smaller size that is easy to find. Older Fords use something like a 1.80 size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried to remove the connector that broke and ended up having to cut it out entirely. Got a single bullet connector and soldered it to connect to the previous wire. Problem is now the entire harness doesn't want to seat (I don't think the new single-bullet is in the way; it just doesn't want to seat all the way). I may post a request in parts-wanted to see if someone might have one. For now I'm afraid the harness will vibrate loose on the road...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took some clearer photos of my attempted fix, but I'm still not confident that it'll hold up under road travel/vibration.

Any idea on what Part #'s these harnesses (male and female) may be? I have a scanned Parts catalog but there's no way to tell which part #s they are:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think your going to have a tough time finding the correct plugs. I would suggest you find (good luck) a donor harness. In your case you will probably need both harnesses, if the one inside the car is bad. You could try Greg Donahue, if nothing else he may have a few words of wisdom for you. My 63 has act up occasionally because of road vibration. It seems to me the last time I had issues I placed a small amount of dielectric grease on it, that was seven years ago. Not too many years ago I went to an old junk yard not to far from you just over the PA line. They had at least six Galaxies laying around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts