Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I have to drop the pan to replace the oil drive or can I get away with changing from the top?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Don't forget to install the retainer clip so that when you pull your distributor out the drive shaft doesn't drop into the bottom of the pan.
Paul

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
On 2006-11-16 07:55, PaulS1950 wrote:
Don't forget to install the retainer clip so that when you pull your distributor out the drive shaft doesn't drop into the bottom of the pan.
Paul
Now there's something I wish I had done a while back! I was at a 7500/win bracket race a few years ago...went 6 rounds and was in some money. The call went out for our class, I hopped in the car & hit the button. Just cranks over, will not fire. First thing that came to mind is to pull the cap & see if the rotor turns. Nope. Dist gear was chewed up. I just happened to have a friend there at the time that was already on the trailer (had the exact same dist) so we though...hey...just swap distributors! Grand idea. Got his out in less than a minute it seemed like. Pulled mine out, dropped his in, fired the motor. No oil pressure. Guess what....the idiot that put the motor together (me!) forgot to put the clip on the drive. The shaft stuck to the distributor, then fell down into the pan. Long story short, I was lucky enough...at that time I still had the stock Maverick front end in the car....which meant that I could pull the pan with the motor in the chassis. Wasn't easy, but I had 3 other guys helping and we got the shaft out and dropped it in through the top with use of a 1/4" socket and use of a magnet & grease. I ended up making the next round...where I promptly GAVE the race to the opponent with a -.034 red

Moral to the story...put that .02 clip on there, if you don't it can cost you a LOT more later on!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts