Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it really necassary to lift the engine to replace the oil pan gasket? Why can't you just put the truck on ramps or a lift and unbolt the pan, take it out and clean it up, put on the gasket and sandwich it back to the block, and then torque the all the bolts?

·
Registered
247 Posts
You don`t have to lift the motor for only a gasket. Remove the starter and pan bolts. Snake the new gasket around the outside, and bolt it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just did mine on my F350 without lifting the engine. You just can't remove the pan because of the oil pump hanging down. If you lift the engine, you can drop the pump into the pan and possibly have enough clearance to then remove the pan with the pump in it. The pump drive shaft will come out also, and may be difficult to line up with the distrubutor and pump drives when you put the pump back. I wiped my pan out with some lint free rags, and sprayed a lot of WD 40 to loosen everything up, the flushed it with engine oil, all before I put it back up. It was very thight- probally would have saved time if I had lifted the engine and blocked it between the engine mounts and frame.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You would have to remove the upper intake if you want the pan out. No need unless you`re replacing the pan. Make it easy on yourself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am just afraid that if I try to snake the gasket under the oil pump and what not that I will get oil on the gasket. I heard this is what causes the gasket to get squeezed out. I really want that whole area to be clean so I can be assured that I won't have to do this again soon. If I just unbolt the pan with out lifting the engine will I have enough space to sufficiently clean the mating surfaces and what not? Thanks guys for this advice as well, I am sure you know that your saving me around $700.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You don`t have to go inside the pan at all. Snake it around the outside perimeter of the pan. Wipe the surfaces with a brake clean soaked rag.Don`t over analyse it. You will be fine. I have done too many this way to count. I don`t ever recall one leaking after I was done. It usually only takes me about an hour on a lift. Good luck. Get a Ford gasket, They are more rigid than the original soft rubber, so they don`t blow out like the original.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rcm600 on 7/21/06 12:37am ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts