Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weatherstrip on the rear side window of my 64 Galaxie (the strip that butts up to the front window when windows are raised) needs replacing.

Looks fairly simple to do; is it?

Can it be done without removing the window or rear side panels?

Thnx

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Received my new pieces today. No screwing required (no pun intended). The piece has a double groove, so it would seem that you slide it gently into the window's track. (There's a gap in the track that allows you to start the sliding process.)

But, when you get the piece all the way in, you can't (at least I can't) get the last remaining inch into the grooves.

I don't want to force the hell out of it and possibly ruin the piece.

Any hints?

Should I just try soaping the piece up and see if I can wiggle/squirm the last inch into place?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got them installed.

But, I didn't use the "replacement wiper blade" slide in method. I don't think that would have worked.

I soaped up the bottom length of the strip, slid it an an angle into one side of the window channel, and then slowly pressed the other side (sometimes using a thin screwdriver) into the groove.

With enough pressure, it eventually sinks in all the way and grabs grooves on both sides.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just goes to show that I'd make a better cab driver than mechanic.

Tody I went to put the rear window quarter weatherstrip on the other side of my car, and learned that I was not doing it right.

Once you get the old weatherstrip out, there is a tab on the lower end of the channel.

With care, you can bend that tab so that the new weatherstrip can be slid easily (after some soaping) into the grooves wihout bending and with little fuss.

Then, bend the tab back in place. and the job is done.

Takes just a few minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts