Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replacing stock I-6 engine with high performance V-6

Hello,
I'm looking for ideas on the topic of replacing my stock 1967 Mustang I6 engine. I would like to get a new engine but keep it a V-6. I'm looking for more power and overall performance but do not want to make too many changes.ideas please....

I meant inline 6 in title...
Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Cost about the same and you will be happier with a little crate 302. Not sure your current tranny bell housing would even work for any of the V6's and not sure where you would get motor mount brackets unless you get some universal's and cut/modify to fit. You might be looking at a computer controlled OD tranny swap as well to match up with the V6.

Most all the modern V6's are electronic fuel injected, computer timed, computer controlled. To do that conversion for an old car like a 67 is somewhat of a pain. It can be done though. Practically anything can be done. A Megasquirt might be the easiest way to do it.

My son and I looked through all that for the Toyota truck conversion and concluded a carb'd engine like a 302 crate motor would be a whole lot easier to do. He wanted a manual so we were going to swap in a T5. The only V6 we found with some promise for carb was the 4.3 Chevy and those are mostly all on the net now.

His mom gave him a late model Firebird so I have convinced him that we probably should just scrap the Toyota. He now has 2 different cars, each of which would make a decent little street hot rod. Toyota needs way too much work including re-aligning the frame.

Before you scrap your 6 banger look into Clifford Industries. You can get stock V8 level power out of a 6 with the right set up. They are very cool looking with those side draft Webers on there too.

Check this out. Its a Ford 300 inline 6. That is a sweet little engine. My first hot rod was an inline 200 6 in a Ford maverick. Out ran not a few v8 cars back in the early 70's. The 250 is also a very popular hot rod engine.
*HOT* FORD 300 C.I.6-CYL. MOTOR W/WEBERS & LOTS OF GOODIES - YouTube

·
Registered
108 Posts
One of the 2011-up Mustang 3.7L / 305 hp V6 engines would be neat in an early car ... but a heck of a lot of work and dollars to make it happen. You would need a complete donour car to get the engine and trans plus the associated wiring, EEC module, brackets, sensors, and rest of the trimmings.

cheers
Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts