Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finding water in the Bronco's oil about 3 weeks back, I spent the weekend replacing intake manifold gaskets hoping that was the culprit. Checked the oil the next couple days and everything looked OK so I figured I must've fixed the problem. Well yesterday I checked the oil again and my whole dipstick tube was full of foam (the kind you get from blending oil with water)... also no cooling system pressure, and a tiny puddle on top of the timing chain cover... great, so I fix one leak and another one pops.

Anyways, just trying to prep myself for this weekend, I'm trying to remember how much is involved in pulling the water pump and timing cover to replace the gaskets. The water pump is cake, but what about the timing cover? I think I might have to loosen the oil pan to free the bottom of the cover... but will I have to pull the harmonic balancer also, or can I just pull it out far enough to replace the gasket without removing the balancer? Oh btw this is on a 460. Also, any tips as to silicone to use, where to use it, etc. on the gaskets? I'm thinkin black #2 around the water ports, but what about the rest of the gasket surface, blue? orange? none at all? Thanks!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 3/15/06 11:47pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
HI MOTOR
Are you sure the intake is sealed good up front?? I'd hate for ya to remove all that stuff to do the timming cover and that not be it...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pedal2themetal45: I really don't have any way of being sure of where it's coming from, since there's no way of seeing the insides without pulling the engine apart first, and then it's impossible to tell where the leak is from. However I can tell that there is zero sign of the intake leaking externally, no seepage out the front or back of the intake... and since there is some seepage causing pooling at where the timing cover meets the block, I have to go with my instinct and say that's where the leak is. It sucks, I wish there were a way of being more certain

dirtball: good thinking... if I do need to pull the balancer then might as well fix all the leaks I can while doing it. I'll take a good look at it and see if it looks like the front seal is leaking any before I pull it apart.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One other thing that crossed my mind before doing the intake gaskets was I thought it could possibly be a head gasket. Now, in the 10 years I've owned the Bronco I haven't touched the cylinder heads... never removed or retorqued. It seems to me that #1 head gaskets usually blow at the cylinder, not out the side of a water passage, and #2 they've been fine for 10 years, why would they start leaking now? Am I making safe assumptions here, or is it likely that this could be a head gasket bleeding coolant into the lifter valley?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.