Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After grinding away the paint on the lower quarters of the '68 Torino GT, I found my rust free CA car, not so much anymore. Not too bad, but probably worth patch panels. I've found them ranging from $299 at Dearborn Classics and $119 from Macs, to $250 from Sherman sold by Jegs.

Anyone have experience good or bad with any of these, or suggestions for others. I'd rather pay more for a quality fit part, but who knows if more $$ gets you anything better these days.

Also, how do you know when it's bad enough for a patch panel instead of just sheet metal??

Thx.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I had some "patches" installed on both lower quarters of my Galaxie, behind the rear wheels, during the cosmetic restoration in the late 80's. Also replaced a bad section in front of one rear wheel. (I still have one piece stored away that I never used, the section in front of the rear wheel on the other side. We decided to repair that side rather than replace.)

While it didn't turn out factory quality, after all these years, still looks very presentable, and you'd really have to do a close up look to see where the work was done.

But, I wasn't looking for a rotisserie showcar look. I wanted an attractive, nice driveable car, minus the corrosion, and that's what I got.

It depends what your goal is.

Do you want a car to drive and go to weekend carshows, or a 100 point showcar vehicle?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can not comment on repro parts but do buy clean factory parts out of NV for our truck. You might consider shopping the salvage yards in AZ, NM, TX, NV for actual cars they will cut you off what you need.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm restoring the car for weekend shows and absolutely for relaxing weekend drives, but if I spend $299 for a panel, then it needs to be a heavy gauge piece. I want to know if spending $100 less will end up with a panel that's crappy.

I was going to do the work myself but I don't think the garage wiring will support a mig welder. I may have to pay to get it done. Grrr!. I know one thing- the rust repair needs to be quality so it doesn't come back. That's why I only trust... me! :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I was going to do the work myself but I don't think the garage wiring will support a mig welder.
Think service panel upgrade. It will cost about the same and you will have the service for future projects.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We're renting the house in Pasadena, so upgrading the panel and wiring isn't an option. So, no compressor, and no welder. Doing things the hard way. I know a guy who just finished a sweet 3 window coupe which he built outside under a tarp strung between trees. So I'm very lucky to have a two car garage to make this resto happen, so no complaints about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts