Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked these 2 cars up for dirt cheap the other day. One is a 1965 Mercury 404 comet 2 dr I6 auto w/out title and the other is a 1968 futura 289 c4 car w/clean colorado title. My question is should i combine the 2 to build the comet? or should i just leave them stock and restore? Both are numbers matching. The comet has original keys, owners manual and 45k miles. It also is complete all trim and interior. I belive the only thing missing is the stereo but i'm not even sure if it even came with one. The futura has all its trim but the interior is about a 5-6/10. Both run and drive although the comet is gutless and i'm sure 6600' above sea lvl dont help any. Both have some rust also. Just looking for opinons.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
In my eyes the Comet is just begging for the Falcon mechanicals (engine, tranny, front and rear suspension.) From there I would do a cosmetic resto. The original paint is kind of a cool color and I'd even keep the dog dish hubcaps. Obviously it needs a little body work beforehand---(what is the condition of the frame and and other hidden body areas?) It would make a nice driver that will turn heads.

As far as the Falcon, it looks rough and I would probably discard it and the old stuff removed from the Comet. Someone else might want a project.

That is my opinion, but the only opinion that matters is what you want (and are able) to do.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I agree with Dennis.

IMHO, the Falcon's not worth investing time and money.

Scavenge it for parts and call it a day.

If the Comet were mine, I'd keep her bone stock, but there would be a temptation to mod the car up a bit to make it look like a drag racer from the 60's.

But, overall, stock would win out even if it meant replacing the drivetrain and it wouldn't be a numbers matching car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the 68 falcon stuff will just bolt in? Well then that makes it easier. The comet needs rear quarters, and front drivers/passengers floor pans. On the drivers side though the rust got into a small bit of the frame about quarter to half dollar size. The falcon actually has less rust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgot to add that this is my first Merc. I've built lots of Mustangs but never a Merc. What years are interchangeable makes and models? There's a classic car bone yard out about 30 mins outside of Colorado Springs east, that I might be able to get parts from.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Resto Mod it.

As Dennis said use the motor/trans from the Falcon.

Then the rest is up to you. The Comet looks to be in good shape. You could keep it stock looking and Mod the stuff you don't see.(eng/trans/brakes/electronics/etc.) or Mod what ever you want.
To "restore" a car IMO is to put it back to factory original. And I have done more than a few. But Resto-mod is easier, more fun and from what I have seen they bring more money if you go to sell it. Unless it is 1 of a kind or super rare.

The very first thing you want to do before you do the Comet is get a title. Be a shame to redo the car and have problems getting title.

Enjoy

Lou

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Comet, use what you can from the Falcon and ditch the rest... The Comet is much cooler, and more unusual. If nuthing else use the Falcon as barter material from the yard you mentioned after you get done with pulling parts ya want/need....

·
Registered
809 Posts
Forgot to add that this is my first Merc. I've built lots of Mustangs but never a Merc. What years are interchangeable makes and models? There's a classic car bone yard out about 30 mins outside of Colorado Springs east, that I might be able to get parts from.
There is alot of stuff interchangeable with Falcons and obviously other comets 64-65. Also some Mustang stuff works. The list would be quite long. Best thing is to find out what interchanges as you go.

I have a drivers front floor panel I bought off Autocrafters that I never used. Was going to put it on E-bay later this week if your interested let me know.

I am actually in progress of building a 65 Comet now, and having a lot of fun with it. Not many around.

Lou

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good. Yea I've scheduled the vin verification at state patrol office. Picking up Saturday a notorized bill of sale Saturday. After that I pay the state to have a back ground check on the car, then if it comes back clean I send a certified letter to last known address. If it comes back I should have a title shortly after.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I like the Resto mod route. I have done a few cars this way and it allows you to put your personal touches on the car and give it a bit of your personality. Its easier to do and allows you to get creative if you want. To me personally stock is boring. As was said unless its a rare car no reason to go stock.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I agree with just about everyone here, restore the Comet (with some drivetrain mods of course!) and sell the Falcon. These later years are very hard to get parts for and aren't very collectable. Being a four door makes it even worse in both matters.

I like the idea of keeping the wheels, etc. so it has a sleeper look.

Have fun!

John

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
There's a classic car bone yard out about 30 mins outside of Colorado Springs east, that I might be able to get parts from.
Nice to know that the yard on 24 still exists. I lived in Colorado Springs in the mid/late 80's and frequented that place. My other claim to fame with them was scoring a $300 65' Mustang 4bbl 4 spd Vert out of the newspaper that they really wanted too. I got a hold of the owner first and was handing him the $$ when the junkyard wrecker arrived, hoping to haul it off too.

There was also a yard off of I25 north of Denver that I scored some good parts too plus there was a lot somewhere East of S. Nevada Avenue by the RR tracks that kept the old stuff.

Have you ever bought any new Mustang parts from Marko?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Nice to know that the yard on 24 still exists. I lived in Colorado Springs in the mid/late 80's and frequented that place. My other claim to fame with them was scoring a $300 65' Mustang 4bbl 4 spd Vert out of the newspaper that they really wanted too. I got a hold of the owner first and was handing him the $$ when the junkyard wrecker arrived, hoping to haul it off too.

There was also a yard off of I25 north of Denver that I scored some good parts too plus there was a lot somewhere East of S. Nevada Avenue by the RR tracks that kept the old stuff.

Have you ever bought any new Mustang parts from Marko?
Well the yard I'm talking about is off 94 hwy, don't think the 24 hwy is there any more. And if Marko is a hispanic guy, yea. Bought some 69 mustang parts from him a yr ago.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Opps, yeah I meant hwy 94 and yes, Marko was from Peru. I bought a few parts and trailered a car or 2 for him 20+ years ago. Its a small world, thanks to the internet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Opps, yeah I meant hwy 94 and yes, Marko was from Peru. I bought a few parts and trailered a car or 2 for him 20+ years ago. Its a small world, thanks to the internet.
Yea, I met him out at the 24 hwy yard in ellicott.

Nice mustang btw, read your thread on your build. NICE!

Well I keep an update on the cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well went out and found the torque boxes at that salvage yard. They actually had 2 cars well 1 and 1/3 of a car (65 comets). I measured the 8" in the futura and its about 1 1/2" wider than the comets, Mid spring perch to perch.

I just got the brakes bled in the falcon and drove it around the block and it actually runs really good. I have a friend that has a tow company and he says he can get me a title for the comet for around $200.

Since the rear end wont just bolt in i figure i might be able to just sell the falcon whole the way it is. Though i'm not sure what i can get out of it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah... i wouldn't butcher that Falcon for the sake of making your Comet better. Sell it to someone who will love it and appreciate it. I, for one- like the '66-70 Falcons- even a four door! You'll get top dollar in Australia. ;) or you can do this mod:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts