Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Galaxie convertible that did not come with original AC. I have seen pics of other 66 galaxie dashes that have air vents. I would prefer to have the original dash with the AC vents than to buy an after market kit that mounts below the dash. Is it possible to retro an old dash into my car and tie it into the other pieces of an after market kit that go under the hood?

If so, does anyone know where i can i find the dash with AC vents semilar to one in the pic below? Would greatly appreciate some advice and a lead on this.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hello GalaxieJoe305,

I would imagine anything is possible with enough patience, time and money. I currently started a body off frame restoration of a '66 galaxie 500XL 2dr that didn't have factory air con and am adding the entire factory air to the car. The dash has 4 registers, two on either side of the steering wheel in the middle dash and two on either side of the glove box on the lower dash. The middle dash area vents (your picture) can be easily added without needing the entire instrument cluster assembly as the white cast pot metal instrument panel base has the holes cast in it for the two side vents in your picture in heat only cars as well. You will need the new large plastic outer I/P cover, vents and probably controls I imagine. The lower dash other two vents are a bit more tricky. Ford never punched the holes in the metal dash structure for these vents in heater only cars. Yes weirdly Ford had two separate part numbers for the big metal dash structure for air con and heat only cars, even though the holes would easily be covered up by the trim in heat only cars. You would need to punch the holes as well as obtain the decorative part of the lower dash with the vents.

As for looking for parts. No one makes any of this in aftermarket and with donor cars drying up it can be tricky to locate one. You might want to try Desert Valley Auto Parts in Arizona or CTC Ranch in Texas and have then remove and ship the parts to you if they have them.

It was cheaper and easier for me to find and buy a few local abandoned '66's in fields (from the Southwest and there's loads of old cars buried in back yards here) and use all the air con bits after a thorough reconditioning of them. I even needed about 1/3 of the firewall off the factory air con car to transplant into the heat only car. But it was nice to use the entire dash off the factory air con car.

Just thoughts...

Good luck

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am installing a Vintage Air gen IV Magnum unit in my "heat only" 66 Galaxie 500XL.

I could not find a 66 Galaxie A/C dash near me, so.....here's how I did the dash vents.

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

I used a cutoff wheel in a die grinder and a Dremel to cut the holes.

Waiting for the last vent louver for under the ashtray to arrive...

I think it's gonna look and work ok.

The louver/vent things are also from Vintage Air.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I concur with DesertXL.

Typically when I've seen people ask how to install factory AC in a non-AC '66 Galaxie, the answer has been to change the firewall. That's not surprising given how different an AC car looks from the engine bay vs a non-AC car.

If it were me, I would start by capturing pictures of the structure in AC vs non-AC 1965-66 Galaxies (they're the same) akin to how DesertXL was describing. That way I could see how they each look in real life.

Then I'd look at the assembly diagrams of a '65-66 AC dash vs non-AC dash from the Ford Master Parts Catalog. That way I could see all the parts involved and the differences of one assembly structure vs the other.

Together, that would help me understand both the scope, practically and effort involved with surgery, fabrication, parts acquisition, final assembly and testing.

Let us know if you'd like to continue exploring this. I probably have most of the pictures you need ... and if you don't have the assembly diagrams, I can provide those too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Galaxie Joe,
Here are three photos from a factory air '65. It looks like to me you are half way there with your dash vents. In the "surround" section, there is one vent below each turn signal dashboard lamp,
which looks like you already have. Then, at the bottom of the dash, there is a vent just below the ash tray and a vent just to the right of the glove box door. It looks like what Galaxiex is doing
to his dash is what you should do to yours when you add your A/C system. Good luck with it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts