Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the midle of retrofiting from a flat tappet to a small base circle cam hyro roller for my 289 block and was planning on using the "dogbone" and factory non-linked roller lifters. But when I mock it up in my engine the dogbones get pushed up off the block by about an 1/8 inch when I rotate the cam. Has anyone seen this with a small base circle cam? I thought I wouldn't have to buy the expensive linked lifters and remove my heads to install them. But now I don't know hwat to do. Is there more then one version of a small base circle?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the spider but the lifters are pushing the dogbones up slightly when I spin the cam by hand. I know that they cannot move and my camgringer says that it should work. Does anybody out there who has done this swap know what size basecircle they used for their cam?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ran into this problem with my Cleveland...
The lifter bore height varies quite a bit on the block castings because it really didn't matter.
I had to buy the link bar style lifters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mpcoluv on 9/18/06 9:22am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Hmmm....You have the spider in place? If so then rotate the crank. Does the spider flex? If it does you have problem. If the spider and dogbones don't move then you're fine.

P.s. I have run RBC H/R cams in my engines.

·
Registered
991 Posts
small base circle cams are horrible, not to mention the lack of choice, they reak havoc at high rpm. The harmonics are horrid. Any reason you went this route?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts