Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I torqued down my heads to a new head gasket (Fel Pro from the Ford Motorsport 5.0/302 Gasket set), only to realize I had to pull the heads back off for some slight mods. When I pulled off the gasket stuck slightly to the head and when I separated it left some of the thin film on the head in a couple of places. I just cleaned that off the head, and inspected the gasket and it looks ok. Am I safe to reuse this gasket? The motor has never been fired. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
They were ok until you torqued them down so now you need another set.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
you guys would absolutely poo your pants if you knew how many times I've reused gaskets...BUT, they were not stock replacement gaskets. They were 1011 Felpros.

There for about...oh...probably 5-6 years of drag racing I never bought head gaskets and I freshen up the engine twice a year. Then again I'm not making any power either, so that may have something to do with it!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The guy that does machine work for me likes to use the black Felpro "marine" gaskets. He tells me they reuse them all the time. I reused them once no problems.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have done it in the past with no problems.

I've done it twice on my 200 I6 Falcon both times I ran the engine for more than a week between each pull and reused the same gasket.

I've put over 3,000 miles on the falcon now and have had no issues and I probably drive it harder than any of you push your tiny little engines....

I've lso done it on a 289 and a 302 with no problems, but that was a standard store bought gasket....

FE

·
Registered
659 Posts
Have done it on street motors. Never one i was gonna run hard at the track.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I put a set of 324 heads on a 303 Olds back in the early '60s
and re-used the 303 head gaskets. Didn't have a torque wrench either, or a garage! It worked OK but I wouldn't do it again.... unless I was as broke as I was back then. Bruce

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have reused gaskets and not had a problem but they were FelPro 1006s.

I am currently rerunning my Cometics on my engine with no probs either.

It's a gamble more than an absolute. If the gasket is at all damaged I would toss it though. Keep it for mocking up future motors.

·
Subscriber
157 Posts
The chance of the part actually working is directly proportional to how difficult the part is to change. Murphy's law of hot rods

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've reused head gaskets and header gaskets...i know its not the right thing to do but i had no problems

1 - 13 of 13 Posts