Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just dropped 300 bucks for a hughes converter on an AOD (old beat up one for $50). The trans had some internal problem, I'm not an expert but felt like a clutch wouldn't disengage or something. Long story short the trans failed.

I've got a new one and would love to reuse the converter but don't want to risk contaminating the trans with lots of junk. The fluid in the old trans was burnt and darker with clutch material.

Is there a great way to flush out the TC so that I can re-use it? Thoughts?

By the way, I am familiar with how to set the throttle valve. This was not the problem in this trans.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Have a transmission shop cut it open or get another one is the only way to clean one of those things out.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
My rule of thumb is to cut them. About $50-70 for a cut, clean, soft washers and re-weld. If you want to cheap-out, I would look in the pan and filter for any fine silver metal particles. The finer particles get past the filter and stuck in the fiber washers in the converter and trash it, and also pass loose ones back to your fresh tranny. :frown: If you find NO metal and only burnt fluid and paper clutch material, then a machine flushing may do. I also always run a MagnaFine filter on the trans cooler line. Cheap insurance.

David

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I'll be glad to pay to have it cut open and cleaned out, wasn't sure if that was an option.

I'll look into that filter...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts