Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reverse flow (counter clockwise rotation) water pump for a 302 with the early style (dipstick and fuel pump boss) timing cover. I have converted to a serpentine belt and just realized my water pump is turning backward. Now it overheats at idle/low speed. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Is there a reverse flow (counter clockwise rotation) water pump for a 302 with the early style (dipstick and fuel pump boss) timing cover. I have converted to a serpentine belt and just realized my water pump is turning backward. Now it overheats at idle/low speed. Any help would be appreciated.
I think 80's cars and trucks have what you are looking for. I have seen quite a few carbed serp setups at the junkyard, but I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Yes, all small block water pumps are reverse rotation from the mid-1980s on. They were used on standard timing covers as well as covers specifically for CCW pumps. There are three considerations - right or left inlet, length and fan mount bolt hole spacing. It is difficult to find a right inlet (passenger side lower hose) reverse-rotation (CCW pump, the aftermarket would be the only source. While you can research to find a match for stock left inlet versions, it's probably easiest to go to the local store and have them pull some examples, such as a 1990 F-150, 1988 Mustang, etc.

David

·
Registered
674 Posts
I believe the 84 Mustang has a reverse rotation pump that matches the standard rotation inlets in the front cover. Perty shure mine did. I have one of the first Mustang experimental covers that revised the cover inlets specificly for reverse rotation. The 84 pump was different in that the impeller chamber is open (no volute).
There are some front covers wit hthe boss for the dipstick in the front but not drilled can be drilled though. There are also some with the fuel pump pad drilled and some with the pad but not drilled. Some water pumps use slightly different bolting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts