Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I there a performance difference between the forward and reverse MVB? I am looking to go with a MVB with a brake.

I've never ran a reverse. what are the pro's and con's? would like to hear from people who have ran both.

The car is a 40/60 street/strip. when it's not going down the track I go to a local car meet or so about 25 miles.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The reverse pattern has 1st where drive normally is, 2nd is where it always is and 3rd is where 1st usually is. the idea is that you can't accidentally shift into neutral with the reverse pattern.
I have never heard of a standard pattern manual valve body with a transmission brake. Live and learn, I guess.
Paul

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
There is a guy over here that is doing a forward transbrake. He currently does a nice manual valvebody so will be good to see what the t/brake one is like.

http://www.keas.com.au

It's listed at bottom of page

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 1/16/07 5:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
ATI contends there is a perfomance advantage to using a reverse manual valve body.
They say the forward style uses the low/reverse band causing extra drag while in first and on the shift is shift timing is not dead on.
Reverse VB's use the one way and 2 nd gear is just a matter of applying intermediate band, no timing issues.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I have been looking to upgrade my 66 C4 valve body to a better shifting pattern. Right now it is powerglide mode, and shifting it manually is a bit of a trick.

Will a reverse pattern shifter work for my 66 C4? The ones I have seen are for 67 and higher. What is the differance, if any, and how does it effect my 66 tranni? I would prefer to go full manual operation if I could do that too.... My tranni is compleatly rebuilt with only 2000 miles on it, and has all Red style bands and clutches, and a 3000 stall.

Any recomendations... anyone???

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Nothing different about reverse pattern, just retraining your arm to pull the shifter in the right direction. Better have a rev limiter - you'll test it first few times at the track when you launch in 1st and then shift to neutral. I switched last year in the last 1/3 of the season. I was missing 2-3 sometime using the forward pattern shifter (arm moves but trans wouldn't shift). Used the Broader kit to make my own VB, tossed the Z Gate and went to a B&M Pro Ratchet. Nice setup.

Friends made fun, shouldn't change that much stuff late in the season. Took about 20 runs to retrain my arm, a couple neutral shifts and such. Then went on to win Modified ET points chase, won Mod gamblers at the Shootout, missed the iron man by 2 rounds next day, runner up Modified Division 4 IHRA Finals - who's laffing now.

1967 Falcon 4 door w/351C - Owner built, owner abused.
70 Mustang 302 / 06 Ranger, 04 SuperCrew parts hauler
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 1/17/07 10:31pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Thanks... Like retraining my leg for Clutch to no-clutch from my daily driver to my racer...

Can't tell you how many times I have shifted to second in the racer, while applying the clutch, which is really the break in the stang...

Homer sums it up correctly....Dohhhhh!

·
Registered
945 Posts
The thing I don't like about the reverse VB's is the fact that you can't shift into neutral from top gear after going thru the traps.
Its not good for, getting good plug readings, if you run alloy rods, or want to get into coast mode if something just let go....you are basically "trapped" in gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts