Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the deal. Since the OEM column has been replaced and the harness signal switch is on the floor board. I have been rewiring the new rocker panel. The original headlight switch is still in the car, headlights hi-low, runs all work fine. Tapped into the turn switch and wired the rocker panel everything works RT & LT turn, in dash indicator lights.

The million dollar question: Where does the brake light wire tie in ?

I have tried multiple combo's and know I am missing something simple. A little expert advise please. TODD

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the diagram. I have the signals on a rocker in the new panel along with ignition, start, fuel, fans ect. The issue is isolating the turns and connecting in the brakes. The factory switch houses turns, brakes, horn, 4-way ect. The brake circuit sits in the center of the oem housing and altrnates pending which turns are activated then brake power goes to the oppisite side. All the turns work in the panel but when the brakes are introduced the turns will not alternate like on the column or brakes go the front turns. I know there is an easy solution, I'm just missing it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I went back and found the pics of your dash. (Looks great, by the way!) I find that the '64 diagram is a bit easier to follow. Did you run both the front and rear light wires together for each side? I recently wired emergency flashers on my '65 and used a diode to keep the brake circuit from back-feeding to the front lamps. Ford's design for the steering column switch kept front and rear seperate. What kind of togle switch did you use for the turn signal switch?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front and rears are seperated like the would be in the column. The toggle is a three position 6 pin. with 20 amp breaker.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You still need to have the rear lamps connected to the brake circuit (which is that green wire). On the switch the center pin would be common and connect to either the top or bottom depending on which way you flip the switch. I think I've worked out a way to accomplish this with the switch you described but I'll have to bench test it first to be sure. This involves four diodes. How are you with soldering?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke with my mechanic here at work he said the exact same thing but thinks two will work. I will get four 20 amp diodes and get busy this weekend. The problem is the switch. I could also open the switch and break the contacts to isolate front and rear. Will try diodes first. Thank for the input, will let you know the outcome. TODD

·
Registered
380 Posts
All the turns work in the panel but when the brakes are introduced the turns will not alternate like on the column or brakes go the front turns. I know there is an easy solution, I'm just missing it.
Unforunately there is no easy solution other than having seperate brake and turn signal lamps in the rear. Even with diodes you still need a way to maintain contact between one tail light and the brake light switch when you operate the turn signals. There is no way to do that with DPDT switches. The constant +12v from the brake light circuit will over-ride the turn signal flasher unless you can do what Ford did in the steering cloumn switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts