Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a set of these?..I've heard good reviews about flow #s but no real world experience...The flow #s posted on the RHS site seem way higher than the ones here on the fordmuscle site.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Jay has info over at my board

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Jay Allen just flowed a set, and says they flow better than advertised. He's going to flow them a few more times to back it up before posting any numbers from what I know. I believe the ones flowed on this site are 180's, not 215's. Gotta check the fine print =).

Cris

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have three sets of the 215s. One set is assembled and on a 393 but it won't be installed for a while.
The flow numbers on the Ford Muscle test was on a 4.060 bore. The numbers posted by Pro Topline are probably on a 4.125 bore.
There was a set on Ebay last week, The guy did some mild porting and polished them up. If I recall they flowed [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] on a 4.06 bore.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/all-ford-techboard/pro-top-line-cyclone-heads_32253.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: scottford351 on 11/21/06 6:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Odd that the exhaust flowed more on the smaller set, considering they all use the same exhaust port, regardless of what the intake port size is. I'll have to look over the article again.

Cris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ok I read it, and I agree with scottford351, the bore size will make a very large difference, considering that the intake valve (a rather large one in this case) is much less shrouded. No matter what bore that head is on, it's going to make respectable power =).

Cris

·
Registered
865 Posts
I use the 200 runner on three or four engine buildups I have done. They are about 20 to 25 HP less than out of the box AFR 185 s .They do NOT flow anything like the above post. They do respond well to a little touchup work. JOE SAHERMAN RACING

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Do you know anything about the 215's Joe? Like we'd said, Jay's flowed a set and he said they were more than advertised (wouldn't say how much, which I respect). However he also said he was going to flow a few more sets, to get a 'real 'baseline. He NEVER gives out numbers without doing more than one set, which I think is cool.

Cris

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very happy with my 215's. With a very mild cam my 420w made 530hp and over 500 ft/lbs across a wide powerband. Just finished a rebuild, stepped up the cam, 1.6 to 1.7 lifters, replaced the stealth with a vic jr. Dyno numbers to come in a week or so. My heads flowed 312 at 6 right out of the box, slightly better than what Pro Topline posts on their website. The AFR religion out here on the internet is close to fanatical at this point. Good heads? Sure, worth the money? I'll post my numbers and you can decide for yourself.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing them. I know Joe's dynoed a LOT of this stuff, so if he says the 200's are down 25hp from AFR185's I believe it. I'm just curious how the 215's compare. Regardless they are what I'll be running, so your numbers definitely interest me =). Make sure to keep us posted!

Cris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Is1BadFord on 11/22/06 12:30pm ]</font>

·
Registered
310 Posts
MAINER,
What was your previous cam specs and the present specs?

420ci: is that 4.040 X 4.100 stroke?

I'm going to put a set of the 215 on a 425- (4.062 X 4.100 stroke). 12 1/2 compression , 263 275 .704 lift solid roller.
I'm hoping for 620 HP or there about.

Keep us informed.

Thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
On 2006-11-21 05:31, mainer wrote:
Very happy with my 215's. With a very mild cam my 420w made 530hp and over 500 ft/lbs across a wide powerband. Just finished a rebuild, stepped up the cam, 1.6 to 1.7 lifters, replaced the stealth with a vic jr. Dyno numbers to come in a week or so. My heads flowed 312 at 6 right out of the box, slightly better than what Pro Topline posts on their website. The AFR religion out here on the internet is close to fanatical at this point. Good heads? Sure, worth the money? I'll post my numbers and you can decide for yourself.
sweet stang...love it.

Like to here more detail about your first combo and the new one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks. Yep, the combo is 040x4.1

Parts:
Crank - Eagle 4340 4.1
Rods - Eagle 4340 H-Beam 6.2
SRP pistons .040 9:6 to 1
Engle roller cam .525 lift 225 dur. @ [email protected] LSA 112
Heads - ProTopline 215
Holley 750 4779
Intake - Stealth dual plane/ported to heads

Changes just made:
Lunati custom grind.599/246
Victor Jr.
.012 taken off the heads to raise comp ~ `12-1

I'm heading to the dyno in a couple weeks and taking a Pro Systems 750 carb, a couple different carb spacers and a step set of headers 1-5/8-1-3/4 that I've been using and hooker straight 1-3/4. I've been told my headers are too small so real curious what the results will be. Plan on new converter/rear gear depending on what the dyno says too.

don

·
Registered
749 Posts
On 2006-11-22 14:21, mainer wrote:
Thanks. Yep, the combo is 040x4.1

Parts:
Crank - Eagle 4340 4.1
Rods - Eagle 4340 H-Beam 6.2
SRP pistons .040 9:6 to 1
Engle roller cam .525 lift 225 dur. @ [email protected] LSA 112
Heads - ProTopline 215
Holley 750 4779
Intake - Stealth dual plane/ported to heads

Changes just made:
Lunati custom grind.599/246
Victor Jr.
.012 taken off the heads to raise comp ~ `12-1

I'm heading to the dyno in a couple weeks and taking a Pro Systems 750 carb, a couple different carb spacers and a step set of headers 1-5/8-1-3/4 that I've been using and hooker straight 1-3/4. I've been told my headers are too small so real curious what the results will be. Plan on new converter/rear gear depending on what the dyno says too.

don
Wow that is a lot of power for a "mild" setup like that. Must have idled almost smooth with that cam
Like to try a "mild" combo like that

Thanx for the info...good luck with the new setup

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll be very anxious to see the results myself but I'm already impressed with your old combo...I see you have a big aluminium rad in your mustang..Is the beast hard to cool?..I'm running the stock heavy duty air conditioning rad(same size as big block) in my 68 and I hope its enough.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Only thing I don't like about a small bore 427 is how over square it is. Bigger stroke than bore? Ouch.

Cris

1 - 20 of 55 Posts