Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 65 fatsback with a 347 stoker. I want o get the best performance on a 2 1/2 inch exhaust muffler but keep the noise down and resonence low inside the car. Of course I want to keep as much performance as I can. There is a kit from the supply houses that has the fowmaster 40 and 50 series mufflers. Any suggestions in this price range.
Thanks in advance Paul in LA

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have Flowmaster 40 series 2.5" exhaust on my 347 and it is loud. The drone at 3000 rpm is annoying. It wakes the kids in the house when I crank it up. BUT, it does sound good! I would prefer it to be just a bit quieter though. Much of the sound has to do with the cam though. These same mufflers with stock cam sounded tame.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 289 with 2.5" exhaust and the 50 series... they are loud as well; but I think they are tamer than the 40 series (anyone?). I have a Dyno video that has volume from idle to wide open throttle if you would like to hear it.

Scott

·
Registered
117 Posts
The mufflers on the 2005-2006 mustangs are quiet, powerful sounding and 2.5". I would imagine you could get a take off pair for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have Raven mufflers from Midas with a similar set-up (302 non-stroker). There is no drone and really open up at WOT. Nice throaty idle too.

Edit: As long as the exhaust exits out the back of the car the noise inside the cab should be reasonable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XR7Cougar on 8/16/06 11:30pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have 2.5" on my 289 with Imco mufflers. A little deeper than the Flowmasters with no drone at any speed. I am real happy with them. I have a sound clip somewhere I can dig up if you wanted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes please to anybody that has sound clips. I'm also looking at getting new mufflers and want something quieter than what I have now.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Here is link to my website, I have several video sound clips of car under full throttle, I run tri-y's into 2.5" tubing w/ x-pipe and magnaflows. have turn downs at rear valance. This is a 289. To me
it's loud when you are on it. But crusin at 60 on the interstate it's ok.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/835961

·
Registered
71 Posts
On 2006-08-16 07:26, sbrickell wrote:
I have a 289 with 2.5" exhaust and the 50 series... they are loud as well; but I think they are tamer than the 40 series (anyone?). I have a Dyno video that has volume from idle to wide open throttle if you would like to hear it.

Scott
289 Dyno video Link:

http://high-brickell.com/Video/Dyno_Run_3.wmv

Also have Hooker Comp headers and an X-pipe

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I have 2.5" Hooker Max Flow mufflers and an X-pipe behind a 331 stroker with a medium big cam. It has a good sound and is not too loud inside the car. I have the pipe run all the way to the rear. I also covered the entire floor with Dynomat Extreme and I'm sure it is helping.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pbrown on 8/18/06 8:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
123 Posts
Why would anybody put SLOWMASTERS on a car ???
They sound like a bunch of rocks in a tin can and drone to high heaven.

If you want to make power and NOT noise get some stright thru packed mufflers like Dynomax, Magnaflow, or the inexpensive but high flowing Hooker Maxflow.
On my sons 93 fox body hatch gained .2 with the only change being from SLOWMASTERS to Hooker maxflows.
Building a 79 coupe right now it's getting 3" Maxflows.
This type of muffler is very quiet a low RPM with a deep muscle car tone to it. But when you get into it they let you know they are working. They have NO DRONE like the SLOWMASTER JUNK.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've had my Flowmaster mufflers on my 73 Torino since 1997. I had to ditch the Dynomax mufflers I had installed in 1997. When I converted my Torino to dual exhaust in '97, I didn't have much money. The guy at the shop said Dynomax were inexpensive and would last at least 5 years. I got screwed twice on that setup. Once by the service tech and again by the Dynocrap mufflers 2 years later. Flowmaster mufflers are free flowing chambers with metal baffles that are not packed with crap like fiberglass that gets clogged and kills performance (let's not mention fuel consumption) and your wallet. My Flows are pushing 10 years and the drone level only becomes a nuisance at 15mph. Now tell me, who the hell drives a muscle car at 15mph?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marzz22 on 8/18/06 2:32pm ]</font>

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think that the absorption type mufflers (Dynomax et al) might work better initially, but they degrade quickly if you run the car hard for extended periods. A trip down the strip I would imagine they can handle, but when subjected to use on a road course for 20 minute stretches, they fall apart pretty quickly. After about 5 or so events (1.5 - 2 hours each) the absorption mufflers I have used are usually pretty dead. The Flowmaster hasn't changed a bit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
On 2006-08-18 05:06, V8Mongrel wrote:
I think that the absorption type mufflers (Dynomax et al) might work better initially, but they degrade quickly if you run the car hard for extended periods. A trip down the strip I would imagine they can handle, but when subjected to use on a road course for 20 minute stretches, they fall apart pretty quickly. After about 5 or so events (1.5 - 2 hours each) the absorption mufflers I have used are usually pretty dead. The Flowmaster hasn't changed a bit.
Hey V8Mongrel,

I am headed your way this morning to get a quote on having some sub-frame connectors welded on in Apex... it is a small world!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm running Flowmaster 40s with dual 2.5 and an H-pipe. I dont think they drone that bad (wife says different when I start it in the garage and it shakes the livingroom). My stupid Holley blue pump is louder and drones over the mufflers!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Have had flowmaster two chambers for a while now. Run a H-pipe with turndowns and it is pretty loud at idle and seems almost quiet at highway speed.

At one point I had the same exhaust except that it ran to the rear valence. That one was quieter at idle but would drone like crazy. The current turn downs don't drone at all by comparison. It is not just the mufflers but the design of the system that cause the drone in my experience. It was my driver back then and it drove me nuts!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts