Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was hoping someone could help me with some information on Rims for my 1965 Galaxie 500 Base 4 Door. Right now it has the factory 15s on it with the Ford hubcaps. I'm definitely going to upgrade the rim, but i'm curious. Does anyone know if 17s will fit under it fine or will it need work to get htem under there. Also, does anyone have a pic of one with the Cragar 15's on it? I can't decide if it's worth going up to 17's or if 15's will still look good. These I have now are so boring, but I'm not sure if it's just because of the hubcaps or the size...or both.

Thank you,

·
Registered
708 Posts
I like to see stock size wheels on older cars.
If it had 15's from the factory then 16's or 17's can look ok, but must choose the wheel style with care.
Some (most?) of the modern designs look anywhere from weird to fugly on an old car.

... and forget about 20's or bigger, they just look completely stupid on a 60's car.
All just my opinion of course...
Run what YOU like.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not a four door, but here is a ‘65 with Cragar SS wheels. These are 15s with 225/75-15 tires. Rear wheels are wider - 8” rear and 6” front if I remember right.

- John

DAF51D0F-E421-400F-998E-5133B2BE2002.jpeg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like to see stock size wheels on older cars.
If it had 15's from the factory then 16's or 17's can look ok, but must choose the wheel style with care.
Some (most?) of the modern designs look anywhere from weird to fugly on an old car.

... and forget about 20's or bigger, they just look completely stupid on a 60's car.
All just my opinion of course...
Run what YOU like.
I think based on what I've found i actually REALLY like the 17" Torq Thrust II's in Chrome.

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
Here's my 17" cragar SS. Besides the look, I like is people recognizing them, "Are those Cragars?"

·
Registered
182 Posts
Torq Thrust IIs are a great choice. They look great and are relatively light. Your car will look awesome.

I went with Cragars for a few reasons. They fit the look of this car as a barn find from back in the day. And I got them cheap at a swap meet. Last, I have wanted a set of Cragars since I was about twelve.

- John

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
And they improved the geometry just enough so that water doesn't sit on the rim and rust it out.

Cragar was the first and the baddest. Buying a Torque thrust instead of a Cragar is a bit like buying a Maverick instead of a Mustang. 🙄
IMO, of course!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Never was a fan of Mustang's...err Cragar's. Really like the Maverick, though.

No offense of course.

fullsizeoutput_846.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
That surprises me. Maybe they were a local thing?

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you've ever watched "Overhauled" you can get an idea of what big rims do to an older car. Make it look fugly, in my opinion. I use 16" on my 68 Cougar only because it's getting harder everyday to find speed rated tires in the 14-15" size. It's not so much the rim dia but the tire overall dia and the width. Factory vehicles now have these 20" rims because it's the only way to fit huge disc brakes with a rim. Rim offset makes a big difference how they fit also. Stick outside the fender wells or just right inside them. Just remember, Weedhopper, the fronts have to turn both ways and big tires can be a problem.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The wheels are 15x7 Torq Thrust II, they're the polished version not chrome and the tires are 215/65R15. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't go with the polished as they're too hard to keep up and I like the look of chrome wheels. But then which is better? Traditional chrome or PVD "Chrome"?

Also, I'd probably go with wider tires and a wider wheel if I could without any fitment issues.

What I'm not a fan of regarding the Cragar S/S is the flat face of the spokes. Just too plain Jane for my taste. The Torq Thrust II has a nice, rounded spoke that, to me, really adds style to the wheel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts