Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Ring gear install on a Detroit 31 spline locker - loctite?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dirtball 
#1 ·
Well I've been running a 4.10 31 spline Detroit in my 85 Bronco with a healthily built
351 W (4bbl, headers, edelbrock performer intake/carb, Crane RV cam, mildly ported, MSD ignition) and a C6 with stock converter turning 36" super swampers for about 6 years now. Last saturday, after making a turn there was a loud KAABANG from the rear end. I thought the driveshaft broke loose again. But I was still able to drive, I locked it in 4wheel and creaped home. When I yanked the diff out last night, I found 4 of the ring gear's bolts were sheared off, 5 or 6 were bent up to 90 degrees. the driver's side bearing cap on the third
member broke out at the center, the diff clamshelled open, the bearing on the driver's side disintigrated.

All in all, a real mess. When I installed everything 6 years ago, I followed all the torque specs and adjustment procedures. If I do this again those ring bolts are getting RED loctite'd.

Just wish I knew what the sequence of events was causing the failure.

Anyone got any ideas?

See less See more
#4 ·
Sure sounds like they backed out on you. The bolts are only an inch long or 1 1/4". You did use new bolts the first time? Most places and probably Ford too, doesn't reccomend re-using ring gear bolts, especially in performance or H/D applications.

Make sure you check the ring gear bolt holes for screwed up threads if you are going to re-use this gear set.

Also, check the locker for oblong holes too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Strokin on 4/18/02 12:29am ]</font>

#5 ·
Can't reuse it, the thing is bent to hell (the halves of the locker are bent open).

They were new bolts, bearings, gears, differential and outer axle bearings.

Just wondered if anyone else has had/heard of similar things happening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.