Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does everyone perfer?? drag racing is inexpensive but you only get 12 or so seconds of g-force.Although more expensive, at open track road racing events you can log 200 miles or more of extreme driving. The cost of vehicle set up is about the same.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I get dizzy doing anything but drag racing. If it's got anything with going in circles, or hard corners, no thank you.
Gimme that launch.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've been racing around in circles for almost 20 years now and it is a blast!
Until you've been at speed, bumper to bumper and door handle to door handle you dont know what fun is

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Ive raced road courses, 1/2 mile dirt & drag raced. Road racing is fun, costs more to enter & it's limited to the type of car you can run to be competitive. Dirt, carried too much of that home & hated the mess & all the cleaning. Although all forms of motorsports have their easy & hard places... Road & dirt you get a TON of time to recover from your mistakes, drag racing? Over in 9 seconds & if you aren't on your game every time... you go home in a hurry. I like being on my toes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Road Racing.... I went to my first drivers event about 2 years ago at Blackhawk. It had 3 classes and I learned a lot. The instructor also let me ride along in a new model vette with 500 h.p. Lengenfelter (sp.?)

For a couple of hundred bucks, you can easily put 100 miles on your vehicle in a day's time. It's not racing against someone else, it's racing against the clock, and seeing what you can improve.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I just reread the original question/statement. Where does anyone think/believe that DRAG RACING is inexpensive? Maybe for the beginner racer, (i.e. drive your car to the track, run 15-20 second ets), but I can assure you, (more to the point), my wife can assure you that even the class/point where I run is not inexpensive.

Going fast costs money. Period. (don't matter if you wanna go straight, or turn left/right).............

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drag79stang on 3/20/02 6:23am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drag79stang on 3/20/02 6:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'd love to try road racing but you're first mistake could be very expensive when you kiss the guardrail.I have a chance to go to Mosport here in Canada with my mustang club and I tell myself that I could just take it easy but I know that when someone blows by me I wouldn't be able to stay out of the gas.Also the stangs not exactly set up for that sort of thing.Also love to try roundy round racing but again need a specific car and it could be totalled in a hurry.Guess I'll stick to drag racing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Rally racing. A number of reasons. It takes more skill to negotiate a turn since the road isn’t flat. In this kind of racing there is no wall or rail to save you. If you mess up and go off the road, you might end up at the bottom of a cliff where you have to climb out and save yourself before your car burn into molten heap of what used to be a car. It lacks the high speed of drag racing, and the car to car racing of road racing, but you get your thrill as your car goes airborne but you can only enjoy it for a split second because now the road is coming at you, and you better make a landing that even fighter pilots would be jealous of because you can’t break your car now. You still have a hundred miles to go.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Rally racing might not have the speed of drag racing but I think speed is relative when your doing 70 or 80 through the trees and rocks on muddy or snowy roads,YIKKKES

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Rally drivers? Sheesh, now you're talkin' 'bout a whole 'nother breed!
I'm not sure if they're the bravest guys to ever get behind the wheel or if they're just a couple of genes short of the pool...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Drag racing....well, I love the feel of the G-forces. But as someone said, it's all over in less than 15 seconds. Fun, but not the funniest thing I do.

Road racing. THAT is exciting. Bumper to bumper, door by door, fighting for inches in high speeds. It's an adrenalin trip. And I am an adrenalin junkie.

Rally. Depends on the course. Can be everything from fun to frightening. Thats why I love it so much. The only thing missing is the carfights, but that would never work in rally. That's why we have road racing.

To sum it up: It's all GREAT!! But the feelings is different.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've done both(limited)road racing, and more drag racing, I can say that I found the road racing is more expensive by far, due to the safety issues, slow or fast you have to have all the same safety items, but its wild, i raced my 68 stang at the 30th aniver. of mustang on Charlotte Motor speedway, pretty cool., drag racing is my hobby now

·
Registered
521 Posts
i wish my maverick was a drag car..
i wish my cougar was a road racing car..
i wish i still had my celica cuz i did "mini" rally crap with it and i think it would be way fun...

i like all kinds of racing

·
Registered
474 Posts
To start off... how did it go from Drag or Road, to drag, road, sand, dirt or Rally?!?..
I grew up around road racing, i still love it, infact, i'm tring to start racing this summer, then my mom remarried someone.. he grew up drag racing everyweekend, i bought a '72 Gran Torino, now i'm into drag racing,
In my opinion, it's whatever you personally think is the adrenaline rush you like more, start-finish in 10 seconds or less, or whether it be 200, 45 seconds laps, it's what you like the most, whether it be inexpensive or expensive, In reality we all like it all.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Lawnmower drags , NOW YOU TALKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Screw the rest , Drag only BEST !!!!!!!! Lawn drags.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RumpityRump on 3/26/02 10:57am ]</font>

·
Registered
355 Posts
Chilly, it's a loong way to the dunes from MD, but I have to agree. They let you do anything you want, there are even quad wars out there. And if you get into boatin' the babes in bikinis - ooooh yeah. Silver lake. I plan to go at least a dozen times this year. So we've digressed once again.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
those of you who are in SO CAL area or any one else check out alltimeracing.homestead.com I just got back from the streets of willow (logged on 100 miles) with my 85 saleen that packs a probe 347. oh boy what a @#$!% blast. CANT wait untill august!!!
also fox 11 was there they said they would do a spot on fri [email protected] 10:00.

85 saleen #078
93 lightning

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IAPEXL8R on 3/29/02 11:08pm ]</font>

1 - 20 of 20 Posts