Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Great in car video! That motor sounds awesome and seems like the car really pulls hard. It was like watching a video game and the car just kept passing cars like they were standing still.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Matt, Awsome car & great videos, just finished watching them. Thanks for sharing. When you gonna bring that bad boy to Road Atlanta so's I can try my hand.

Rick

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
power rack? do the wheels take the steering back to center? good driving!
i was driving a manual steering race pantera recently and it wouldnt always go back to center, maybe cause he had expensive wide tires and a street alignment(not sure need to ask him about the alignment) or cause they were sticky and wide. i was scared with the manual steering that if i bumped the steering i wouldnt be strong enough or quick enough to correct it in time so i kept it at lower speeds!(plus he had a small diameter steering wheel ...just not used to it) it was hard to turn the wheel!

you are one good driver. cool to see the vids. sorry i missed you at laguna would have been nice to meet you and see you race in person.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 'cowboy. My steering rack is out of late '90s Mustang Cobra, so it has power assist. I also use a lot of caster, which is where the self-centering comes from. Maybe the Pantera was lacking caster as a measure to make it steer easier. I would put more caster in it. If it is too tough to steer, then and get a bigger steering wheel and/or move the seat closer to wrestle it better.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
thanks , let me ask you something else..! do you ever break the rack or wear it out? reason i ask is that i want to upgrade from what i have and i see woodward seems to be used by alot of racers? are they any better or is it that they are easier to rebuild?

man i want to drive your car! i saw that nice catch at like 1:25 or something.
good day

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We focused on selecting a rack that worked well to minimize bump steer with our suspension geometry, which has unusually long control arms.

Woodward seems to offer and impressive product line and very good tech. support. If I were to do it again I might well have used their products.

The issues I have had with power steering have had most to do with getting the amount of boost right for adequate feel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts