Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Morning, Y'all,

I had to take a break from my '67 Galaxie build for work, I've currently got month to work on it before i'm gone again.
A coworker of mine told me to look into trying a "roadkill" frame swap with a new model truck/SUV/Crown Vic.
I did some research and found that '97-'12 Ford expeditions have the same 119" wheelbase.
Curiously. the '86-'97 Aerostar is also a match.
Some other makes/models work as well, but I'd like to keep this a Ford only if possible.
I'm highly tempted to try this swap, as y'all know how terrible the mid-sixties Galaxie frames are.

My question is there any precedence for this?

V/R

Clutch

Also, Here's the chart for 119" wheelbase frame donors. It's a nice search engine for other wheelbase donor options.
Link: Engine, Transmission, Chassis Swap Donor Vehicle Look-Up (roadkillcustoms.com)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Good Morning, Y'all,

I had to take a break from my '67 Galaxie build for work, I've currently got month to work on it before i'm gone again.
A coworker of mine told me to look into trying a "roadkill" frame swap with a new model truck/SUV/Crown Vic.
I did some research and found that '97-'12 Ford expeditions have the same 119" wheelbase.
Curiously. the '86-'97 Aerostar is also a match.
Some other makes/models work as well, but I'd like to keep this a Ford only if possible.
I'm highly tempted to try this swap, as y'all know how terrible the mid-sixties Galaxie frames are.

My question is there any precedence for this?

V/R

Clutch

Also, Here the chart for 119" wheelbase frame donors. It's a nice search engine for other wheelbase donor options.
Link: Engine, Transmission, Chassis Swap Donor Vehicle Look-Up (roadkillcustoms.com)
Hello ClutchMagpie,

If your '67 is just a tinker toy beater then maybe try it for fun sort of thing. But to properly switch the chassis on a 3rd generation full size Ford with something else it's going to be a time and money vampire and it would be far cheaper and easier to find a clean southwest frame and swap them out. Where I live (New Mexico) there's loads of old cars parked in peoples yards and that's where I found a pretty rust free '68 LTD for parts for 500 bucks several miles from the house and it has a nice 3rd gen frame. So they are still out there, you can order one from one of the junkyards down here or try to find a complete car and you'll have extra parts. Or you might find a relatively rust free '67 down here and use your car for parts :)

The big problem with another make frame is going to be the body mounts, then another problem is if you're '67 has factory air con the engine bay plenums might interfere with the newer engine and that's going to be a pain if you want the heat and air con to work properly.

But like I mentioned if it's just a fun experiment and if it doesn't work, you sort of wash your hands of the whole thing, then it could be worthwhile from that point of view. All depends on what you want out of it in the end.

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The big problem with another make frame is going to be the body mounts, then another problem is if you're '67 has factory air con the engine bay plenums might interfere with the newer engine and that's going to be a pain if you want the heat and air con to work properly.

But like I mentioned if it's just a fun experiment and if it doesn't work, you sort of wash your hands of the whole thing, then it could be worthwhile from that point of view. All depends on what you want out of it in the end.

Cheers
Sorry, i keep forgetting to include specs. My '67 is a stock, 3 on the tree manual, no air con.
Honestly, I want a newer frame, especially a truck frame, so I can convert it into a functional every day car.
I live primarily in the Rust Belt and East coast, so i'm constantly worried about rust.
i'd prefer to keep the 289 V8, and as many original parts as possible.
Tomorrow i'm off to check out some Expedition donors, and take some measurements.

I'll post with additional information then!

-Clutch

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Sorry, i keep forgetting to include specs. My '67 is a stock, 3 on the tree manual, no air con.
Honestly, I want a newer frame, especially a truck frame, so I can convert it into a functional every day car.
I live primarily in the Rust Belt and East coast, so i'm constantly worried about rust.
i'd prefer to keep the 289 V8, and as many original parts as possible.
Tomorrow i'm off to check out some Expedition donors, and take some measurements.

I'll post with additional information then!

-Clutch
Hello ClutchMagpie,

I better understand your end goal now. That's quite an undertaking you're embarking on and I respect that. I'd love to follow your progress if you decide to post about it.

I daily drive my 1968 XL and I love it as it is so far. However it is a power factory disc brake car, power steering, 6.4 litre, automatic, factory air con along with factory AM-FM stereo which isn't a fair comparison to a more entry level optioned car. I can see manual 3 on the column getting a bit old in traffic as well as sweating on a hot day standing still at a red light. I used the factory air con all summer long, which was a godsend as I have black vinyl interior. Will you convert to an automatic overdrive? Fuel injection? I do wish I had overdrive, but even with a 390, C6 and heavy duty 9" I get 12-14 MPG around town/rural and 18 on the highway if I keep it at or under 65 MPH.

Good luck on your quest.

Cheers

If you keep the 289

·
Registered
379 Posts
What's wrong with with the frame? I'm not clear on what your issue is, and what it is you're trying to solve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts