Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to post this in light of Jim Nolans recent experience with Dearborn Classics with his dash pad. To me, this is the definition of good customer service.

I've been working on the suspension and steering of my '67 Commuter wagon and placed an order with Rock Auto last week for some replacement parts. I picked up new inner and outer tie rods, sleeves and an idler arm.

The good:

- Prices were cheap and they beat everyone else on all but one item.
- I was able to find a 5% discount code on RetailMeNot: Coupon Codes, Coupons, Promo Codes, Free Shipping and Discounts for Thousands of Stores (I love that site!)
- Moog and McQuay Norris parts.
- Easy site to navigate.

The bad:

- The parts shipped from three different facilities so I had to pay three different shipping bills which ate up a good deal of the savings.
- Both sets of tie rods were mismatched. Even though the boxes listed the same part numbers, the parts had distinctly different details. I would note that both probably would work, but they aren't the same.
- The idler arm looks completely different from my factory idler arm is of a different construction.

That being said, a quick call to Rock looks like it has straighted everything out. They are shipping new tie rods so I have a matched set, and they are sending return instructions and a prepaid shipping label for the two mismatched tie rods, and they are shipping the new parts BEFORE I return the old ones so it doesn't hold me up.

As for the idler arm, it is a new and improved design which is OK with me since I'm not doing an original restoration. The customer service rep even made a call over to Moog to confirm this. The part looks to be much more rugged, thicker through the arm, and no more rubber bushings!

It would have been nice to have everything right the first time, but in the end, they are making it right, so a thumbs up to Rock Auto.

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
pvan,
I got my springs from Rock Auto and a few more things. Good prices. Glad you posted that. I'll use them more now. Jim

·
Registered
218 Posts
+1 for Rock Auto's service but as mentioned since they source from part warehouses all over and in many cases the old stock is just that, old and maybe one here and another somewhere else you could ger mismatched correct parts. But as you said one phone call and it usually gets worked out.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yes, you must watch out for the shipping costs with Rockauto.

Yes, their customer service has generally been pretty good in my experience. And they're pretty reliable at providing what they say they will when they say they will.

I've bought some stuff from Amazon, since we've got Prime, but they're horribly inconsistent when it comes to car parts and you really, really need to be careful.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Since we are talking suspension parts....

I ordered the front end kit from PST, no issues other then they sent me two different outer tie rod ends. Called them and they put the correct part out in the mail right away and I had it within a week, they didn't even want the wrong part back (I still have it). I wasn't in a rush, so it wasn't an issue, but I was very happy that based off me calling them with the number on the incorrect tie rod end and what I ordered that the situation was quickly resolved.

·
Registered
185 Posts
first time from Rock i ordered a new ignition switch for my 65.. it came in with the correct box and part number but was a totally wrong switch.. I called them very dissapointed as anyone would be when they get something they didnt expect. They opened up a new box while i had them on the phone, described it and it was the right one. the one they had.. apparently someone switched parts with the box I got. they promptly overnighted me the correct switch at no charge and did not even ask me to send the wrong one back. I was impressed and happy. they are a old stock warehouse though so I always keep that in mind. I've ordered Coil springs, tie rods and other misc parts since then without an issue and the prices are really not bad at all.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I like R.A.Always good service for me.Mike.I got all my brake parts from them when i completly rebuilt the 62 gal brake system.

·
Registered
653 Posts
they are a old stock warehouse though so I always keep that in mind. I've ordered Coil springs, tie rods and other misc parts since then without an issue and the prices are really not bad at all.
Rockauto's basically a middleman, they don't warehouse much if any product. They've got vendors who feed them inventory data, and then they route the orders to those vendors for shipment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts